Northwest Fly Fishing Magazine is no more

mcoomer

Got the new issue and it's now American Fly Fishing, with fishing reports from Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Washington. I've been subscribing to Northwest Fly Fishing for a long time now, and just went online and downloaded all the back issues in my account. Won't be renewing when the subscription comes due. Did I miss the announcement on the change, or is this out of the blue?

Mike

This is the message on the site:

ABOUT US
American Fly Fishing is an inspiring, collectible reference of North American angling destinations. The staff at American Fly Fishing takes pride in its commitment to the highest standards of publishing, from timely, informative stories by the sport’s most talented writers, to award-winning photography, layout, and design. Each issue provides an insider’s look at well-known fisheries and off-the-radar waters, both close to home and farther afield.

Our feature articles provide in-depth coverage of fisheries, with valuable insights, tantalizing anecdotes, and all the details readers need to plan successful angling adventures. Each feature includes a hand-produced custom map of the fishery that highlights the important landmarks covered in the article, as well as a sidebar with recommended tackle, fly patterns, guides, shops, lodging options, and more. In addition to the feature articles, American Fly Fishing carries enticing, entertaining, and informative departments: “Around the West” and “Around the East” present concise destination stories, like miniature features; “Masters at the Bench” and “Pioneers & Legends” are biographies covering the personalities of our sport; “From the Creel” and “American Classics” are wide-ranging columns covering myriad intriguing topics; “Fish Tales” celebrates the humorous side of fly fishing; “Conservation” reports on important efforts nationwide; “Exposure” is a themed photo essay, presented by the best photographers in fly fishing; a variety of other recurring departments round out the magazine.

American Fly Fishing combines our former regional titles into a single powerhouse magazine. In 1999, we launched Northwest Fly Fishing, followed by Southwest Fly Fishing and Eastern Fly Fishing. For more than 20 years, our readers have relied on our destination reporting to plan angling adventures near and far, and American Fly Fishing is the culmination of that tradition, a veritable guidebook to outstanding fisheries throughout North America.

dfg

It reads more like a travel magazine than ever. I will also let my subscription lapse.

Gyrfalcon21

Spreading regional fishing stories that were once, Regional, throwing them across the world just draws more outsiders to our area with articles of how great the OP steelhead runs are, which we all know is WHERE or WAS, is just the stench of tourism board money pumped into a national magazine to sell b&b's and timeshares and guides from Montana, or fly stores in the East that take a bite from the trip, to that Montana guide, who then chase the Steelhead to extinction.

Dumping the consolidation as well.

Last edited:

Nooksack Mac

Give a thought to how drastically the coved crisis impacts magazine publishing. They are faced with their monthly nut, with fewer reliable writers submitting fresh material, with fewer staff willing or able to come into the workplace, with fewer new subscriptions from freshly unemployed readers. Some favorite magazines are likely to be out of business shortly. I hope that the crisis fades into the past before long (but don't count on it - how long have we been waiting for an anti-cancer drug?) and that we'll be able to make those big fishing trips while we're still young enough. I may just have a year or two left.:eek:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Yeah, it's looking like this consolidation isn't going to have a positive effect on subscribers. I just breezed through the current issue, and the only article I read front to back is the one on our own fly tier James St. Clair.

mcoomer

Give a thought to how drastically the coved crisis impacts magazine publishing. They are faced with their monthly nut, with fewer reliable writers submitting fresh material, with fewer staff willing or able to come into the workplace, with fewer new subscriptions from freshly unemployed readers. Some favorite magazines are likely to be out of business shortly. I hope that the crisis fades into the past before long (but don't count on it - how long have we been waiting for an anti-cancer drug?) and that we'll be able to make those big fishing trips while we're still young enough. I may just have a year or two left.:eek:
I don't doubt that this is impacting their business, in the same manner many others are being hurt, and I'm sympathetic to that. For me, it's simply that I enjoyed what I had in Northwest Fly Fishing and I don't care about destinations that I'll likely never visit. Tell me about a nice spot in Idaho, and I can get there on a long weekend. Small creek in Vermont...not going to happen.

I suppose it's simply a business decision on their part, and folks will vote on the matter with their wallets.

Mike

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Interesting. My take is totally different.
I had been thinking of dropping my subscription because it seemed to me that the magazine had started to repeat itself. Also, lately I winced when it covered small local fisheries. I can't imagine someone in NH is going to come to WA to fish a little bass lake in the Seeps, so they'll probably drop that kind of focus now.
I'm game to learn about some out of area fishing - have rod, will travel!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts