NFR Non Political I stained my fence thread

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Kfish, that is a cool photo. I should count how many sections I have.

I do know the fence to the north is one style, to the east another, and to the south a different.

So even in Montana, fences and seeing your next door neighbor (or keeping them out) is a thing....;)
Bozeman has become ground zero for people storage. It is the land of the multi-family housing.

Political and not related to fences, but a catchy tune.
Speaking of catchy. I blasted this to make up some time on my staining

Hem

The problem with the wide open parts of Montana is unless you own mega property you pretty much have to deal with disrespectful neighbors and all of their shit.
Fine then.
I built a 300' F-you fence in two days. The boards were flying.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Nice job Swimmy! Those kinds of fences will eat into your fishin' time. Once you paint it, you're always painting it.

We get some pretty vicious winter time winds where I'm at. Went with chain link, set it, forget it. Then along the two sides that I wanted privacy from we planted emerald trees inside the fence. Planted them with a mini excavator and forget it.

There's a guy down the street and around the corner that started with a six foot cedar fence. It blew down the first winter. He rebuilt it as a four foot fence. It blew down the next winter. At this point you can tell it's a matter of pride and principal. By Gawd there was going to be a sumbitchin fence! He rebuilt it as a three foot fence with the top foot made of lattice. That one has stood for five or six winters.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Chain link? That sounds cool but I think something like this will be my next fence.

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
Nice job Swimmy! Those kinds of fences will eat into your fishin' time. Once you paint it, you're always painting it.

We get some pretty vicious winter time winds where I'm at. Went with chain link, set it, forget it. Then along the two sides that I wanted privacy from we planted emerald trees inside the fence. Planted them with a mini excavator and forget it.
Ditto on the chain link fence. Instead of trees we have ivy along one side and wisteria on another. Unlike trees ivy doesn’t blow over in heavy winds. Our home is almost completely blocked off from neighbors’ view. Perfect.

Hem

Build a wall, protect us all!
Good fences make good neighbors. Unfortunate but true.
My fence keeps the neighbors and their dog in their place. It makes me happy that I dont have to look at the crap in their yard and much of a new house...2 years old actually...with no siding yet.

MT_Flyfisher

The neighbors that live on one side of me installed a 4’ high vinyl fence a few years ago that has lights on top of every post 8’ apart. As though that wasn’t enough they must have at least another 100 lights in their backyard, and a built in sound system with several speakers.

I put up with that for a couple years, and then built a 6’ vinyl fence on the side of my property facing their house. The company that makes my fence is called Simtek, and is sold at Home Depot, and elsewhere. They aren’t cheap, but they are virtually indestructible, maintenance free, and should last a lifetime. Here is what this fence looks like (not my fence, but a stock picture).

FA03AC6F-884C-42A2-9E63-A12DE6387394.jpeg

My youngest son has a border of arborvitae planted around his back yard. They are nearly 20 years old now, and give him complete privacy from his neighbors. I don’t know what he’ll do if some of them die and need to be replaced. (That’s a small pond in the foreground that he can pump water into when he wants from an underground storage tank.)

FF55DB7C-945A-4D43-940C-7320DC7A9FCB.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
When I was working for a living I bought a house in Marysville. The backyard was all fenced in and we planted shrubbery in the front to make a hedge. We only lived there for a few years when I retired. But we did have to replace that fence. Big wind storm came through and blew down a couple of sections. Broke the posts off at ground level.

When we moved to Montana we sold the house. Went back to Washington to pick up my Granddaughter. Went to where we used to live and the house was gone. Somebody bought several houses on a corner lot and built some apartments.

sroffe

I've been working on my fence this summer too, along with cleaning out the garage and helping my wife paint the interior of the house. Oh and I get to fish too.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
And just completely gave new life to them ole boards.

Before:

After:

Went with Behr Redwood Semi-Transparent from down at the Home Depot.

Pressure washed > one coat applied with Shur Line fence pad > one coat Bristle Brush > touch up

I think it turned out nice but what a huge chore.

Brush is the only way to go right?
Looks great but now you have to stain it every 4 or 5 years

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts