Kids and bugs

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
One of the greatest pleasures in fly fishing with kids is exploring all the bug life that our pastime depends on. I had my 9 year old out on a local reservoir that has a decent Hex hatch. I caught an emerging nymph and it hatched right in his hands.

Here's another picture of him with one of the flies we caught.
52BE646A-17C9-4101-8E4C-8077A9445EF3_1_105_c.jpeg

Krusty

Huge Erect Member
WFF Supporter
Bugs, reptiles, amphibians, feeding small rodents, and hucking rocks into lakes saved many an outdoor outing when our kids and grandkids were little.

Travis Bille

So cool! I had my daughter at Hat creek one time when she was 4. She goes "daddy, there's a hexagenia mayfly in the water!" I told her no, it's probably not, they don't live in this creek. She insisted so I went up and looked and sure as shit, there was a hex. It must have flown up from the reservoir downstream or something. I was a proud papa!

Buzzy

Matt - Good job on showing your kids a bit of nature. More than a few people (adults included) would be frightened of a hexagenia. I've never been around a numbers hatch of these amazing bugs - did see quite a few hatch from the reservoir at Priest Rapids.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info