NFR Comet Neowise over WA State Sunday night

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I took this iffy shot tonight at about 11:00pm, a tad NW and low in the sky of Comet Neowise. Was not expecting to see it until early AM but happened to be out and looked over and unknowingly saw a hazy triangle in the sky. WOW!

Really cool to first get that sense that it is a comet.

It has a VERY long tail, like 5+ moon diameter lengths. Can see it fairly easily with naked eye-not bright, but with binoculars it is spectacular.
Not anywhere near as bright as Hale-Boppe in 1996/97, but impressive. Heck, it is a comet ! Cannot get picky and just relish the amazing event.

Some great meteor action including one that was a very big streak and close\"large"

Jupiter with moons bottom
comet2020.jpg

jupp3333333.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
The comet is not orange like in my photo, look at Matt's photo for accurate color. I need to tinker with controls next try.

It has that offish very light, slight greenish color that I remember strongly from Hale Bopp.

SilverFly

How many hobby astronomers in the house?
Not sure I count since I don't own a telescope, but have always been fascinated by this stuff. Had a subscription to Sky and Telescope for years, and was planning on building a sizable Newtonian. Then the first (clear) Hubble images were published, and was so blown away I never bothered to build one.

Really looking forward to the James Webb Space Telescope coming online, but not holding my breath that (1) it will make to a stable orbit at Lagrange point 2 over a million miles from Earth. And (2) that somehow, billions in highly complex, sensitive technology will unfold and actually work. If it does, we're all in for some serious eye-candy and historic scientific surprises.

The European Very Large Telescope currently under construction in Chile could give JWST a run for it's money. This beast will have a segmented primary mirror 130ft in diameter. That's 256 times bigger than Hubble's, and roughly 40 times that of JWST. It will also host the most advanced adaptive optics using 8 artificially produced laser "guide stars" to correct for atmospheric distortions.

Between JWST and the VLT, there's talk of directly imaging planets around nearby stars. Not clearly, but enough to perform spectral analysis of their atmospheres to determine if things like water vapor and organic molecules are present.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts