Bunch O' Tubes

JayB

It being summer and all it was time to bust out the "Bunch o' Balloons" pack that I'd picked up at Costco a few weeks ago.

After my kids went through a few rounds I was taking a look at the spent filler nozzle thingy that was left over after all of the balloons had been removed, and noticed that the nozzle tubes looked awfully similar to the tubes that I'd purchased for tying. Haven't tied any on the tubes yet because I haven't had the time, but they fit on the tube-fly adapter just fine and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work. I'll give it a go whenever I get some free time to do some tying. The outer diameter is about 2.2mM, and the inner diameter runs about 1.8mM.

At 25 tubes per bunch and 6" per tube I think each Costco pack could furnish the average tyer with a lifetime supply.

View media item 44827

DenWor54

Hey Jay
A few years back at a family 4th of July get together the younglings challenged us old farts to a balloon fight. Well we gave them a bag of balloons and us old farts used the production model that you posted. I can say that the younglings were not very happy and lost. We when all was said and done I decided that I would also recycle the the left over tubes. 5C7D875B-6211-4AB0-9E34-8C0A5506B1C8.jpeg

cmann886

Thanks for the great idea. I reclaimed a couple of sets and am now set with more tubes than I will use in a long time. I just need together a bigger needle to prevent them from spinning so easily.

SilverFly

It being summer and all it was time to bust out the "Bunch o' Balloons" pack that I'd picked up at Costco a few weeks ago.

After my kids went through a few rounds I was taking a look at the spent filler nozzle thingy that was left over after all of the balloons had been removed, and noticed that the nozzle tubes looked awfully similar to the tubes that I'd purchased for tying. Haven't tied any on the tubes yet because I haven't had the time, but they fit on the tube-fly adapter just fine and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work. I'll give it a go whenever I get some free time to do some tying. The outer diameter is about 2.2mM, and the inner diameter runs about 1.8mM.

At 25 tubes per bunch and 6" per tube I think each Costco pack could furnish the average tyer with a lifetime supply.

View media item 44827
Great idea, I like the colors too. Not sure I ordered enough tubes to go with the pile of synthetic fibers. Enough to knit 5 sweaters, or tie 500 offshore squid flies.

JayB

Make sure you test a couple before tying too many flies. I've heard of some brands being brittle and cracking. Hate to invest a lot of time and materials before finding that out.
Good call. That's the plan, but if anyone beats me to the vise and tests them out hopefully they'll post their results here.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts