Camping Near Troy/Libby, MT

Mr.Brush

Hey all,

I'm planning a camping/fishing/distancing trip to Montana early August and we decided to camp instead of AirBnB to have some more mobility, save some $$$ and avoid other humans. I have my Gazetteer and I see plenty of forest roads with dispersed camping, but I was wondering if anybody had some recommendations for camping in the area. It's easy to get excited about things on a map and then show up after driving 10 hours to an RV city, swamp or high school party hangout. Any and all recommendations about the area are much appreciated, thank you!

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
Contact the Shoo Fly in libby for awesome hand tied flies and reports. https://www.shooflyfishingtackle.com/

Kootenai River Outfitters has camping and cabins on some private access water.

The only other good option is downstream at the confluence with the yaak river, or about 2 miles upstream of there at Yaak River Falls.

All the options offer fishing for wild trout, though the kootenai is unique as its such big water.

There is also a ton of camping at libby damn. Some sites are free and first come first serve, others are paid commercial areas.

If you have a specific off the beaten path camping spot you want to send me a PM about, ill let you know if ive been there or my thoughts.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
There is a wonderful free site below the dam right on the river. It will probably be full this time of year as free is a very good price. I have used it many times, the most recent last year when I got the last open site. On a Tuesday! Nice in mid September though.

Sportsman

Best advice and nicest offer you'll get. Not from there, just married into a family of the first white settlers in the Flathead... amazing family stories!

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
There is a wonderful free site below the dam right on the river. It will probably be full this time of year as free is a very good price. I have used it many times, the most recent last year when I got the last open site. On a Tuesday! Nice in mid September though.
ive camped there too. its far from quite, but its a great camping spot. hard to get in pre covid times, probably near impossible right now. you can really feel the presence of the illumanati there while you dream about the amazing structure they built.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts