Pretty little fish

Buzzy

Smaller. There are hundreds of places like this in the Cascades. Maybe thousands. Plenty of room for everyone to discover their own and spread out. No real need to name ‘em here. Love the enthusiasm for this little offhand report! Cheers everyone, happy summer fishing! It’s on.
You've become the unofficial spokesman for the blue lines, @Old Man - right Jim? There's one skinny little blue line I love to wet wade. Getting there on a weekend requires passing through one of the most tourist attraction (how did you put it? Poophole?) towns east of the "coast". This creek also has cutties and brookies. A monster is 10" and once I released a cutthroat that was almost a foot long: leviathan like. More pics please.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I didn't name that river I named to get anybody to go fish there. The place I was thinking about has the road in there all chewed up and by now it is probably all over grown since that area has been closed for
damn near 15 years.

Yes There are places like that all over the Cascades. But they require you to hoof it in there and most people don't want to do that. If they can't drive to it well you get what I mean.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Beautiful. If I build a massive water feature based on your photos, do I have to pay you copyright royalties? ;)
I actually got to build something of comparable size in a backyard in Medina. It was the most time I’ve spent on an excavator and I got pretty good at it to where it was second nature with the controls. The large base part of the feature was sort of Stonehenge-like. Water gushed out and over that. Then we placed many other boulders and cobble and gravel around. It was never enough water for the homeowner, with a pond pump. I think we ended up running three of those electric pumps at a time. I thought it looked cool and fairly natural but the homeowner made us go and glue down all the rocks with foam adhesive and I thought it looked like crap after that.
That was a big job. We were there a long time and the Medina cops pulled me over twice for no discernible reason just driving to and fro. I also remember trying to pull a stuck scissor lift or fork truck out with my Cherokee. Didn’t work.

SquatchinSince86

Reminds me of the little streams in NC where I hunted little native brookies. If I could find a creek with west slopes, coastal, and Brookies, that would be a neat trick. 20200718_165406.jpg

SilverFly

I actually got to build something of comparable size in a backyard in Medina. It was the most time I’ve spent on an excavator and I got pretty good at it to where it was second nature with the controls. The large base part of the feature was sort of Stonehenge-like. Water gushed out and over that. Then we placed many other boulders and cobble and gravel around. It was never enough water for the homeowner, with a pond pump. I think we ended up running three of those electric pumps at a time. I thought it looked cool and fairly natural but the homeowner made us go and glue down all the rocks with foam adhesive and I thought it looked like crap after that.
That was a big job. We were there a long time and the Medina cops pulled me over twice for no discernible reason just driving to and fro. I also remember trying to pull a stuck scissor lift or fork truck out with my Cherokee. Didn’t work.

Cool. Except now I have Tone Loc stuck in my head... thanks. :p

Last edited:

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I don’t know man. I’ve been there in unfishable spring runoff and still, I mean I’m a flat water paddler, but all I can think is BOOF ow. It’s not that big of a drainage. Maybe in a scary rock-moving flood? Do you guys do that in these little creeks?

I lived with some kayaker in Skykomish, when the river was flooding they were in the creeks. Especially ones with drops and waterfalls!

dustinchromers

I don’t know man. I’ve been there in unfishable spring runoff and still, I mean I’m a flat water paddler, but all I can think is BOOF ow. It’s not that big of a drainage. Maybe in a scary rock-moving flood? Do you guys do that in these little creeks?

Short answer yes. Geology needs to be pretty cooperative. Typically in our western coast environment excluding California granite 250fpm is good to go. 350 gets dicey and requires a special set of circumstances. The steepest run I've regularly run is 600fpm. It's a unique stream that has no individual drop over ten feet. It's highly continuous though and there's only a mile and a half that's desirable. Although I've never been upstream on it but it appears to loose good geology. That stream you are on isn't in the nooksack drainage by chance is it?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info