Massive mayfly at my house in seattle

sroffe

Probably should keep that a secret. That mud puddle might find itself over run with a bunch of crazy fly fishermen.

jamma

Definitely a hex, the photos of Brown drakes that I saw have some speckling on the wings.
Not necessarily a sign of good fishing, I saw one at my house that came from a large flat shallow lake near my house that holds exactly zero trout.

Bob Newman

I used to have those sit on my screen door in Woodinville so guess what bodies of water they come from ?

Where I currently live I am more than a mile from a river and at least five miles from a lake but I get baetis from a river and callibaetis from a lake in horse troughs. They will fly a long ways from where they hatch.

jamma

Skip and I used to fish the hex hatch at the upper end of Merrill Lake. When we first started going up there the fishing was insane. I miss those days.

jamma

It would be considered unusually large for a winged mayfly, which have a body length range of less than 3 mm to about 37 mm, but not unusually large for a Hexagenia species.
Yes, they are the largest mayfly. There are some massive hatches of these bugs in the northern midwest.

jamma

I used to have those sit on my screen door in Woodinville so guess what bodies of water they come from ?

Where I currently live I am more than a mile from a river and at least five miles from a lake but I get baetis from a river and callibaetis from a lake in horse troughs. They will fly a long ways from where they hatch.
I'm at least half a mile from my water source. Any water source with a muddy bottom can harbor these critters as the nymphs like to burrow into the substrate.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts