What's Your Preference for Wading Boots

cdnred

There is a new Orvis boot (Orvis boot Pro) with a Michelin rubber sole....amazing ...like walking with Velcro on your feet. Rocks in my rivers are covered with slime...these are great boots! They are way lighter than my Simms and provide better support. Also way cheaper...take a look!
Pretty well everything I got is from Orvis. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check them out. My boots have the felt bottoms and that's all I've ever used. I've never tried the rubber soles but from what I've heard, they tend to be slippery in water so that's why I've been shying away from them. I know there are various different types of rubber that have different properties just like in car tires (Michelin). I thinking the softer rubber would have better grip and perhaps this is what they're using here. But with softer rubber, it'll lose in durability but then Orvis have a great return policy and warrantty on their stuff..

cdnred

I've had 3 pairs of Korkers since 2010 and have never had the soles come off. Perhaps I haven't experienced the same boot sucking mud a few others have?
They've all provided me with excellent ankle support.
I only have my old Weinbrenner Borger boots to compare to but my Korkers Devil's Canyon boots I used for 5 years and new Terror Ridge boots are 1 oz heaver than the Borgers. They are 4 ounces lighter than my old-school full-grain leather - Norwegian welt hiking/climbing boots but have at least as much foot support and are slightly higher with better ankle support.
The new high end Terror Ridge lace-up boots also do a very good job of locking the foot into the heel cup; better than the Devil's Canyon with Boa laces.
I also have to comment that when I have had problems Korkers Customer Service has been outstanding with my boots both in and out of warranty.
I'm inclined to be thinking along the same lines as you about the laces. I've worn runners with the BOA laces and they never felt secure on my feet or given me the proper ankle support that I needed. For me ankle support is very important, I can go all day with good support otherwise I'd break down..
Customer support is another good sign of a quality product. Most everything I have is from Orvis and it's due to the great customer service I've got from them.
Now with the Korkers, they offer 2 options. One is a rubber sole and felt sole, the other is a rubber sole and studded sole. Which option did you go with..? I've never tried a studded sole thinking they'd make too much noise in the water plus being too slick for going over rocks..

Replicant

I have a pair of Patagonia 'Foot Tractor's' or something like that. Bought them on closeout and used them mostly in the Spring of this year. They come with the removable aluminum bars. These aren't necessary for my current fishing spots, but may see more use this fall. I have had zero issues with these boots in terms of quality and fit. I have size 13, wide feet. My right foot is about half inch longer than my left. My left arch is higher than my right. I can dial these in nicely and fish for hours in them. Also, they scramble up muddy, slippery banks with no issues.

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
I have Simms with boas and Simms with laces (as back-up). I love them both, particularly the boas. If you get boas, make sure you buy one or two replacement kits to take with you.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
On your Korkers, have you encountered any issues with the felt soles coming off..? I'm thinking that they maybe prone to falling off and getting lost or are they on there pretty secure..? I was just looking at the Hodgmans website and I see that they're going the same route with the interchangeable soles..
I have some korkers and my felt soles kept falling off so I fixed them. Put in a short screw in the toe area. No more soles coming loose. If I change soles just remove the screw and reinsert it in the other sole.

DerekWhipple

I've had a pair of Simms guide boots with rubber soles and carbide cleats for about 4 years. I'm not a boater, so they get a lot of walking. The only thing i've had to replace are the laces. I've owned a couple of pairs of korkers before that, and while they were lighter, they weren't as durable, didn't have good ankle/foot support, and the straps that hold the soles on broke on me a couple of times.

If you can afford the simms guide boots, go for it.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I checked out Hodgman's website to check them out. They look like they're going the route of Korkers with the interchangeable soles, this might be a new route they've just taken. Not sure if it is because of the COVID but they only have two sizes, 10 or 12 that I see listed. They look like they're a good solid boot..
The Hodgman's that I had were leather and that canvas stuff. But I never paid over 50 bucks for them. I just looked at their web site and couldn't wrap my head on those prices. I probably bought them 0ver 25 years ago or so. By now they are probably in a landfill someplace.

cdnred

The Hodgman's that I had were leather and that canvas stuff. But I never paid over 50 bucks for them. I just looked at their web site and couldn't wrap my head on those prices. I probably bought them 0ver 25 years ago or so. By now they are probably in a landfill someplace.
Those Hodgmans are expensive now. Seeing what you and others have mentioned, it looks like Korkers are the way to go. They're expensive but then I'm not looking to replace them every other year. The newer Korkers seem to give much better support from the looks of them plus with the interchangeable soles, it's like having 2 pair of boots in one. You must've used the felt soles on yours..? Have you ever tried to use steel cleats on wading boots..? I've never used them but I'm thinking steel on rock would be slippery. The Korkers come in 2 options, one with felt / rubber and the other with studs / rubber. You think the felt / rubber is the better way to go on them..?

Leadeyedbugger

The best boots I have ever had were the Chota stl. They lasted forever.

personally I have never had good luck with Simms boots. Love the waders but meh on the boots.

I have korkers now. Boa laces. I got the heavier duty boot for the ankle support. They have been solid No complaints and I love the boa laces I would like a pair of their lighter weight boots

The day someone makes a rubber boot that gives decent traction will be a good day

cdnred

I have Simms with boas and Simms with laces (as back-up). I love them both, particularly the boas. If you get boas, make sure you buy one or two replacement kits to take with you.
I don't think I'm really sold on BOAS. I had a pair of runners that had BOAS when I was younger and I always felt they weren't giving me the support I needed, may be that's just me..

cdnred

The best boots I have ever had were the Chota stl. They lasted forever.

personally I have never had good luck with Simms boots. Love the waders but meh on the boots.

I have korkers now. Boa laces. I got the heavier duty boot for the ankle support. They have been solid No complaints and I love the boa laces I would like a pair of theiighter weight boots

The day someone makes a rubber boot that gives decent traction will be a good day
I'm kinda leaning towards the Korkers Terror Ridge for the ankle support and laces. I'm old school and preferring the support from old fashion laces..

wetline dave

I have both Korkers and Simms.

Absolutely hate the Korkers as the sole would pop off with side pressure and put me in a bad predicament more than once. If it can fail, and any removable sole can fail it will be at the least opportune time. I glued the sole on and wear them when in a boat.

I haver had my Simms going on 6 years, though the last couple years I have fished a lot less than usual. They are starting to look worn but still holding on. These are the lower priced boots. I think I paid about $120 for them. Felt soles with studs are the way to go for where I fish.

Dave

Robert Ourisy

I've been thinking lately of getting another pair of wading boots, I'd need to get a size 12. I'd prefer to get a quality pair that has a good reputation. I've got a pair of Orvis felt soled wading boots now but I find that they need to get cleaned thoroughly after every use to prevent carryovers from contaminating streams, I'm assuming most people do this..? Rubber boots are much better for contamination control and walking but are rather slick for use in the water. Then there are the Korkers that have the interchangeable soles, not sure have great they'd be. The waders that come with the boot attached are super easy for getting on and off but the boots I find lack ankle support. I much prefer a separate boot merely for the added ankle support. There's also so many different brands to go with, some are great and some are to be avoided. My concern is with the sole type, ankle support and longevity. I did a search on this site but most of what I found were related to boot quality or support. What's your preference on felt over rubber soles, one brand over another, any opinions on this..? May be I'm just rehashing a moot point..?

Edit: Any preference to using cleats on your boots..?
DEVILS CANYON, WITH BOA LACE SYSTEM

cdnred

I have both Korkers and Simms.

Absolutely hate the Korkers as the sole would pop off with side pressure and put me in a bad predicament more than once. If it can fail, and any removable sole can fail it will be at the least opportune time. I glued the sole on and wear them when in a boat.

I haver had my Simms going on 6 years, though the last couple years I have fished a lot less than usual. They are starting to look worn but still holding on. These are the lower priced boots. I think I paid about $120 for them. Felt soles with studs are the way to go for where I fish.

Dave
Interesting to hear. I was beginning to think the Korkers were the cats meow but now I'm debating it again. So with the Simms, you've got both the studs and felt and you like them the best. I know how the saying goes, if something has a chance to good bad it will. Thanks for your input..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info