What's Your Preference for Wading Boots

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I'm going to buy a box of stainless hex-head sheet metal screws to stud those puppies again.

I recommend the kold kutter screws mentioned in Joelals post #57. I've been using them for years. The don't last as long as carbide (which seems like forever in the one pair of boots I have that has them), but I get a few seasons out of them before needing to replace them. Something like $29 buys a bag of 250 as I recall. I screw them directly into felt soles and drill a pilot hole in vibram soled boots.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
For those wearing Simms rubber/stud combo and walking a bunch,
Are you losing studs?
I find I lose one fairly regularly from one or two specific holes. I think the screws have wiggled enough and the holes are now not stout enough to retain the replacement studs. Boots are just over a year old & not exactly used weekly.
Are there stud alternatives in a larger diameter or thread?
Locktite thread locker might help.

afried

New Member (since 2006)
Chotas, they fit my feet, the number one requirement for me. Your feet of course may vary. Beyond that, they are as good or better than any others I’ve used.
Andy

jamma

I use Simms for my stream boots that work well with Vibram soles. They are wide and provide a good platform but are on they heavy side and not great for extensive hiking. For my stillwater use, and I prefer fins that go over boots and the Simms are too wide, I bought some boots from Cabela's that feature a narrower profile which work well with my adjustable Force fins and a charcoal colored felt sole more durable than the white felt ones, that were sewn to the boot. These were perfect but they quit selling them, much to my dismay.

kmudgn

How far do you normally hike in..? What would be your average closest and farthest you used them for..? For a short hike in I'd image the Korkers with the rubber sole would be good but what about for a much longer hike that might be better suited for a true hiking boot..? I'm lookin at the Korkers Terror Ridge, they seem like they'd be suitable as a hiking boot for support and distance. I'm mainly looking at fresh water river or small lake fishing. You didn't mind using the BOAS over regular laces..?
Generally don't hike over 2 mi. Where I live in NH most hikes usually include rocky footing & some sharp granite/shale as well. Korker sole (so far) have been fine. If hiking, I generally have to stop every now and then to retighten. The shoes I have (don't remember which model) are NOT suitable if you must have real ankle support. Only a tightly laced boot will get you that. I have knee, not ankle issues so I am ok. I understand that I am making a compromise by using the Korker/BOA, but its just less to carry. I have an Orvis pack with rod tube holder and that is where I put extra soles. I try to avoid trail hiking with strung rod. Alder bushes and Hemlock trees have a habit of attacking anything that passes through them.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Orvis Pros. I've had them long enough now that I can attest to their durability. They're damn comfortable too (but everyone's foot is different, then again, you can always change out the insole to one more comfy if necessary), the Michelin rubber is the real deal. Super sticky (still gotta use studs on certain rivers)

One's I've had in the past?
Korkers: comfortable initially, never lasted very long. sole life sucked too, the felts are fine, the rubber sucked
Patagonia: most comfortable I've ever had, didn't last very long (although I still use them as my float tube boots)
Simms: super durable, overly stiff and heavy. least comfortable I've ever had (played around with a ton of different insoles, but a total no-go for me
Hodgeman: zero redeeming qualities

dogsnfish

Simms G3. Felt with studs. The G3's I had before this were vibram soles and did not like them, but the boots themselves were great. I imagine my next pair of boots will also be G3's, go with what works.

cdnred

Orvis Pros. I've had them long enough now that I can attest to their durability. They're damn comfortable too (but everyone's foot is different, then again, you can always change out the insole to one more comfy if necessary), the Michelin rubber is the real deal. Super sticky (still gotta use studs on certain rivers)
I heard great things about the Orvis Pro with the Michelin rubber soles. Now with the studs, I'm thinking that once you put them on they're with you all the time even for hiking in. Waiting to put the studs in and take them out once you reach or leave the water would be quite time consuming. I think I'd sooner have the studs in all the time unless I was going on a boat or similar floor. Do the Pro's come with threaded holes for studs or are they like sheet metal screws that screw directly into the sole..? If you were to hike in lets say 4 to 8 miles for example with your studded wading boots on, do you think you'd regret having them on or not..? Would you prefer to wear hiking boots when you hike in and then switch to your waders or would you prefer just to wear your waders right off (save lugging too much gear in)..?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I heard great things about the Orvis Pro with the Michelin rubber soles. Now with the studs, I'm thinking that once you put them on they're with you all the time even for hiking in. Waiting to put the studs in and take them out once you reach or leave the water would be quite time consuming. I think I'd sooner have the studs in all the time unless I was going on a boat or similar floor. Do the Pro's come with threaded holes for studs or are they like sheet metal screws that screw directly into the sole..? If you were to hike in lets say 4 to 8 miles for example with your studded wading boots on, do you think you'd regret having them on or not..? Would you prefer to wear hiking boots when you hike in and then switch to your waders or would you prefer just to wear your waders right off (save lugging too much gear in)..?

The Pros do have pre drilled holes and I've only added them to a couple of other locations.

I also accidentally ordered the 3/8" last time (I like 1/2" so it seats better into the mid sole) but I've still never lost any. I also leave them in all of the time, until they wear down. I hike a ton in them, so my studs wear faster than most.

If it's too warm to be hiking in waders, I'm wet wading (so basically from April through Sept or so), but I also have thick socks plus the neoprene wet wading socks to fill up the extra space.

cdnred

I also accidentally ordered the 3/8" last time (I like 1/2" so it seats better into the mid sole) but I've still never lost any. I also leave them in all of the time, until they wear down. I hike a ton in them, so my studs wear faster than most.
I checked out the Orvis Pro's and I didn't see any option for different size studs. The PosiGrip Screw-In Studs that are listed with the Pro's don't appear to get the best of reviews from buyers. Those "Kold Kutters" appear to be very cheap (1/2" size for $26 for 250) compared to the PosiGrips ($33 for 24), performance wise you feel that work out okay..? Wouldn't they damage the stud threads if they're used in the same hole, they look like a sheet metal screw thread..?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I checked out the Orvis Pro's and I didn't see any option for different size studs. The PosiGrip Screw-In Studs that are listed with the Pro's don't appear to get the best of reviews from buyers. Those "Kold Kutters" appear to be very cheap (1/2" size for $26 for 250) compared to the PosiGrips ($33 for 24), performance wise you feel that work out okay..? Wouldn't they damage the stud threads if they're used in the same hole, they look like a sheet metal screw thread..?

The kold kitters do wear faster. I've replaced them a half dozen times but they work really well. I never bought the posigrips even when I was with Orvis. Too many sketchy reviews and the KKs are just so damn cheap. I'm happy to swap out periodically, especially since I've never lost one yet.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts