What's Your Preference for Wading Boots

Speyrod GB

I have 2 pairs of wading shoes. One of the boots is an old pair of Simms Guide Boots that are probably 8 - 10 years old. They have the rubber soles. They work great for hiking and fishing small creeks. I had the aluminum star cleats at first. Some of the screw heads broke off after the Clea wore down. The cleats fell off. I replaced them with the carbide studs. They work ok, but definitely not my choice for slicker than greased banana peel rivers like the Madison.

I alos have a pair of Korkers Greenbacks. They were "cheap" and I really wanted felt soles. I was hesitant about buying them because of the first generation Korkers I had. The felt came off the sole. I have had zero problems with this pair. I also am on my third pair of felt soles. I had to wire brush the second pair of felts to get some traction back. They still work. My third pair is studded felt. That was a great choice. I have had zero problems with the soles coming off. Sometimes it can be a pain to get the sole off. Just make sure to clean off the sole well before putting on a different sole.

My Simms are starting to show signs of wear and will probably need replacing soon. Will I spend the money on another pair of Simms? I don't know. They are awful proud of their products. Time will tell.

Tight lines.

Old406Kid

I have 2 pairs of wading shoes. One of the boots is an old pair of Simms Guide Boots that are probably 8 - 10 years old. They have the rubber soles. They work great for hiking and fishing small creeks. I had the aluminum star cleats at first. Some of the screw heads broke off after the Clea wore down. The cleats fell off. I replaced them with the carbide studs. They work ok, but definitely not my choice for slicker than greased banana peel rivers like the Madison.

I alos have a pair of Korkers Greenbacks. They were "cheap" and I really wanted felt soles. I was hesitant about buying them because of the first generation Korkers I had. The felt came off the sole. I have had zero problems with this pair. I also am on my third pair of felt soles. I had to wire brush the second pair of felts to get some traction back. They still work. My third pair is studded felt. That was a great choice. I have had zero problems with the soles coming off. Sometimes it can be a pain to get the sole off. Just make sure to clean off the sole well before putting on a different sole.

My Simms are starting to show signs of wear and will probably need replacing soon. Will I spend the money on another pair of Simms? I don't know. They are awful proud of their products. Time will tell.

Tight lines.

I bought Greenbacks a few years ago as backups. After wearing them a few times they're now my go to with absolutely no problems.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Ever have one try to take a bite out of a oar blade on the figure 8?

not yet. I also fish in my Commander with fins. The first one I ever got showed up and wasn't looking at my fly, but my fins. It slunk off and I fired a cast where I thought it might be and one turn and kick of the tail and it was on. crazy fish!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I bought a pair of Simms Flyweights today.
We’ll see how they hold up in the salt, but they sure are light compared to the Herman Munster Freestones.
My feeling is I’ll get a couple years out of them before the oysters and barnacles do them in.

Good to see a number of folks lined up outside waiting to get into the local shop (2 customers allowed in at one time).
SF

cdnred

The first one I ever got showed up and wasn't looking at my fly, but my fins. It slunk off and I fired a cast where I thought it might be and one turn and kick of the tail and it was on. crazy fish!
Gotta be wild fishing for muskies. How's the population in your area, not feeling pressure from being overfished..? I had heard that because of muskellunge's low reproductive rate and slow growth render populations highly vulnerable to overfishing. I'm thinking their populations a fewer and harder to find then pike of the same family. Are you strictly C&R with taking a few home to grill at times..? Pike are real bony and I'm sure that's the same case with muskies..

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Gotta be wild fishing for muskies. How's the population in your area, not feeling pressure from being overfished..? I had heard that because of muskellunge's low reproductive rate and slow growth render populations highly vulnerable to overfishing. I'm thinking their populations a fewer and harder to find then pike of the same family. Are you strictly C&R with taking a few home to grill at times..? Pike are real bony and I'm sure that's the same case with muskies..

Not much pressure at all (folks don't want really want to cast for 10 hrs in a day for maaaaybe a single shot at a fish). Ours are tiger muskies and sterile, so they grow faster than either pike or true muskies. Always C&R for me (you can't keep them until they're 50" anyway). WDFW plants them in 7 lakes around Washington.

cdnred

Always C&R for me (you can't keep them until they're 50" anyway).
Wow, 50" that's a big fish (about 40lbs). To reach 50 inches they'd be about 17 years old. Typically females grow faster than males though. Back in Ontario, Canada they must be greater 36" (8 yrs), 40" or 44" for true muskies depending on where you're at and then the limit is for only one..

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
You're right. I stand corrected. I've never owned freestone's before... I was mistaken. Mine are The Simms Tributary boots.

Elliott5400

I've put my Korkers through 2 years of abuse and no complaints.

The strap that secures the felt to the boot is starting to tare on one, but the felt is getting towards needing replacement themselves.

The boot body shows no signs of excessive wear.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts