Jet Boating 201. Rivers to learn on?

KerryS

Ignored Member
If you want challenging water, I suggest the Skagit, upstream from Marblemount, up to, but not through Shovel Spur rapids. I regularly run the Skagit downstream, and the Chehalis, and Cowlitz. But none of the areas I boat provide the technical challenge you might be seeking. Maybe the Clackamas in OR, I don't know as I've never been on it.

Check the regs. I think the Skagit is closed to motorized boats above Marblemount.

gt

Check the regs. I think the Skagit is closed to motorized boats above Marblemount.
having learned a bit on the Clackamas in OR, parts are quite challenging other stretches a piece of cake. make your choice regarding just how far upstream you want to run starting at Oregon City.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
YIKES! Good to know. No cruising on auto-pitot. Do you just slow it down a bit when you can take it off plane?

Yep
When in doubt no reason to go blasting into a spot that might look suspect.
SF

Onnit

having learned a bit on the Clackamas in OR, parts are quite challenging other stretches a piece of cake. make your choice regarding just how far upstream you want to run starting at Oregon City.
How far up, would you suggest to run?

TY, for the input!

Onnit

Yep
When in doubt no reason to go blasting into a spot that might look suspect.
SF
Yeah... I'm pretty much of a weenie re: going full bore. At this point I need all the reaction time I can get. I'm trying to sharpen my skills so that when I need to run at top speed over shallow water, I'll be more comfortable. Couple of years ago on the Bulkley it was so low we had to drag the raft a number of times. LOTS of jet boats running aground that year. It was insanely low.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
No internal combustion engines allowed above the Cascade River on the Skagit.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
There have been some pretty good accidents on the Cowlitz over the years.
I recall come guys plowing into the bank just below the island. They were going way too fast to make the left turn.
Almost saw the same thing in person myself.

And then there was this guy........
SF

23435FA2-C1A2-43BB-A7D9-1F236A06A68B.jpeg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
On the chehalis near the satsop has sections littered with sunken wood just below the surface.
And to add on to the wisdom passed down by @Stonefish @Peyton00 and @Salmo_g, I live on the lower Chehalis and routinely hear some pretty nasty "bzzzzzzzzzz CrAcK BooM GrRRRRRclanKK ThUD!!!" with boats hitting gravel bars or logs. It is a slow lazy tidal river below the Satsop confluence and things move around between tides even.

As kids, we fed the river many shear pins on the 7hp Mercury outboard.

The Chehalis from Montesano launch down is bigger and wider, but deadhead logs can be present anytime.

Last year had a hovercraft heading up and yearly see the game dept fan boat that motors loudly by.
Here was the hovercraft, and you can see some of the small stuff that is scattered everywhere that is often anchored to the bottom but bobs with the tide up and down, usually limbs are right under the surface.
hoovercrr.jpg

Last edited:

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
That's news to me, and probably a good idea. Did I ever tell you about the time a co-worker sunk our jet sled in Shovel Spur?

I’d be more then happy to hear this story lol. I’ve been tossed around pretty good in that rapid in a raft charging it in a sled is a very bold move.

I also didn’t know motors were prohibited up there.

BDD

Are motors prohibited up there or just while fishing?:confused:

It seems like this has been discussed before.

JM

Just remember that when you are running down stream on a plane your turning radius will be greater. It's much easier to run a boat up stream. When you're on a plane things happen very fast when the channel narrows.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts