Jet Boating 201. Rivers to learn on?

BDD

Internal combustion engines prohibited above the Cascade. View attachment 250078

Kerry, my comment was more about the non-angler, as the OP was looking for jet boating opportunities, not specifically fishing opportunities. If you were not fishing, you would probably never check the regulations. So how would any one know that WDFW had a rule about no motors in that section? Which lead to my curiosity as to who could enforce that rule/law/regulation if you were not fishing? Here in Kittitas the county enforces no motors on many of its waters, whether you are fishing or not. But I'm not sure that is the case with the Skagit. It sounds like some of the fishery agencies may be using jet boats for work in the upper Skagit, which seems perfectly reasonable. But do they get a permit for that work or are they exempt or do they not even need one because they are doing fishery work and not actually fishing? Again, it seems like this type of debate has come up before.

Now if you are fishing then the regulation you posted is perfectly clear.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Kerry, my comment was more about the non-angler, as the OP was looking for jet boating opportunities, not specifically fishing opportunities. If you were not fishing, you would probably never check the regulations. So how would any one know that WDFW had a rule about no motors in that section? Which lead to my curiosity as to who could enforce that rule/law/regulation if you were not fishing? Here in Kittitas the county enforces no motors on many of its waters, whether you are fishing or not. But I'm not sure that is the case with the Skagit. It sounds like some of the fishery agencies may be using jet boats for work in the upper Skagit, which seems perfectly reasonable. But do they get a permit for that work or are they exempt or do they not even need one because they are doing fishery work and not actually fishing? Again, it seems like this type of debate has come up before.

Now if you are fishing then the regulation you posted is perfectly clear.
I dunno the answers to your questions. I do know I’m not going to run above the Cascade no matter who is or is not enforcing the rule.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
This is a recent regulation. It was not in last years regs. I suspect it is to avoid conflict with rafters.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
WDFW regulates fishing, so they can prohibit fishing from a powerboat. Counties regulate boat use on waters within respective counties. So it's probably legal to run a powerboat on the Skagit upstream of Marblemount unless specifically prohibited by either Skagit or Whatcom Counties.

Onnit

Can't thank you all enough, for allowing me to profit from your experience and knowledge. Truly great advice and suggestions for places to go and learn.

Onnit

lower Clackamas is a good one as it will provide some experience for you. launch at Oregon City and go as far as you dare.
Have been looking into the Clackamas... watching some videos on Youtube. Looks like a somewhat reasonable place to learn, while remaining mindful of my lack of experience. TY!

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I don't know of any maps that point out features on the Skagit. Shovel Spur can be seen from the highway. It's much easier to drive a boat up it than to come down it, and it should be avoided in a powerboat.

My Morice reference is to September through the first week of October. When the crowds thin out and it's sink tip weather I suppose the tolerance changes as well.
I rowed through Shovel Spur 40 years ago in a 14' wood drift boat. My 260lb. buddy took green water over his head. Not fun. We had about a foot of water over the floor boards sloshing sideways rocking the boat dangerously side to side.
Frankly we were very lucky to not sink the boat or worse.
Scared me shitless

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
I rowed through Shovel Spur 40 years ago in a 14' wood drift boat. My 260lb. buddy took green water over his head. Not fun. We had about a foot of water over the floor boards sloshing sideways rocking the boat dangerously side to side.
Frankly we were very lucky to not sink the boat or worse.
Scared me shitless

That’s one of those wave trains that gets a whole lot bigger once you are in it too. Some rapids have the opposite effect of looking worse then they are. Lucky is the right word!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I just floated this section yesterday with my 8' Bronco pontoon. The waves were stacked pretty close to each other which put the front of my boat nearly perpendicular to level. It was the first time I've ever had water come in the top of my waders in the back and not in the front.

The fishing was poor and for all intents and purposes the river looked sterile. The river bottom seems nearly devoid of observable insect life. Very strange.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts