How would you fish a rootwad? Updated Results

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
first, i would head home.

id load up my z pulleys, a winch, some cable, and a chainsaw.

i would stack the front and back of the run with rocks and limbs, to keep the fish from escaping the hole

i would head back and extract the rootwad, it has no buisness being in my fishing hole.

then i would return home, unload the gear and reload my fishing equipment. give it a nights rest to calm down, and head back the next morning to reap my reward.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
In the original post, am i the only one who would reach down and rip out the long thin stick blocking the hole? Then fish up the river, and hit this again later after the fish had settled again?
I've done "selective landscaping" using my Leatherman saw, and the wire cutters as clippers on a couple of occasions :rolleyes:.

gt

i stand and observe the current flow. many times it will break one way or the other just above these obstructions. i typically float a well dressed dry fly, depending on time of the year which one, allowing the current flow to take the fly naturally along. takes are typically by a fish charging from under these obstructions. and some of the biggest trout i have take live in this sort of environment. and i do my observations and presentations from the opposite side of the river and obstruction in question.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
My last ditch effort , if I just had to explore it, would be to approach this hole from upstream on the other side. I'm looking for a point in 3ft of water that will drag my line down to the hole. I tie on a floating skater and get my line length out just short of snag. Strip it in and keep it coiled, off the reel. Tie on a weighted sculpin, poke the rod tip to the bottom and keep it there, let the line out 2ft at a time. Don't let your mother see you doing this.
Thats kind of how I've been loosing flies. It works though. Several of you folks have said sculpins, and I've been running dace and spruce flies. Something to try.

Last edited:

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'd flick a weighted Stone or Cadis with a small unweighted Baetis dropper on an 8' 6x leader into the head of the bucket, give it enough slack to sink quickly to the bottom. Once on the gravel, tight line it euro style through the run. No need for a 10' rod, just one that has a soft sensitive tip.
That's the best method I've used so far to catch the fish. Swimming a weighted nymph with unweighted dropper, not drifting which sucks a fly right into the wood.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
IMHO 6x or 7x is the ticket in these situations. Enables the flys to get straight down to depth without much line drag.
You may be on to something, I've been using 3X for most nymphs and up to 1x for streamers. And I don't use fluro as much as I should. I may be loosing fly action with a heavy fly for the leader, instead of down sizing leader for less water resistance. I've read it before but I see it now. Thx

Yardus Maximus

WFF Supporter
I saw the difference first hand at the US Fly fishing champs fishing with some gentlemen that really knew how to Euro nymph during the practice sessions. Used to use 4X & 5X fluro in these situations for the added # strength. What I found is that drag can be greatly reduced by going to lighter tippets. Also a soft rod is required to absorb takes and minimize breakoff with such light line. I was amazed how much more the water pulled on 5x over 6x & 7x. String up two rods a, give it a test and note the difference.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I saw the difference first hand at the US Fly fishing champs fishing with some gentlemen that really knew how to Euro nymph during the practice sessions. Used to use 4X & 5X fluro in these situations for the added # strength. What I found is that drag can be greatly reduced by going to lighter tippets. Also a soft rod is required to absorb takes and minimize breakoff with such light line. I was amazed how much more the water pulled on 5x over 6x & 7x. String up two rods a, give it a test and note the difference.
Thanks @Yardus Maximus . It may have seemed a simple couple replies to you but I finally see the subtleties of what I've been trying to do and develop this year. I've been trying to adapt traditional casting setups to the way I like to fish flies when not casting 25'+. I've always liked to swim flies, like I did salmon eggs and worms as a kid. I found this site Blue Quill Angler Learn Euro . and have enough experience now to see the differences and how the different flies, leader and rod work better for short fishing. Tom

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I pulled 3 fish out of this one on a small stream yesterday to 11" with a Tenkara rod just swinging a Takayama Sakasa Pheasant Tail wet fly along the pile, no special manipulation required. That was after my buddy pulled out 2 or 3 out with his western rod using a Parachute Adams. 20200722_145342_2.JPG 20200722_170133.jpg

Last edited:

MGTom

WFF Supporter
OK, thx folks. After practicing with a ESN setup on the local creek yesterday I went out this morning to see if I could replicate the results in a different watershed at the intended target. Beautiful morning.
20200723_061315.jpg
Looking downstream at rootwad
20200723_061252.jpg
I like to fish downsteam, left over from my wet fly facination. I used this setup with an ant and zebra midge.
20200723_rig.jpg
Started out above the root wad with the under cut bank and took a pair of fish
20200723_061859.jpg
20200723_undercut.jpg
I then fished the back side with no luck, so I positioned myself above root ball, hidden from the pool, and ESN nymphed reaching over the log.
20200624_rootwad.jpg
Which yielded a double. Waded over high and netted on this side. Love the big net for this. The little ones usually rub the hook out and are gone by the time your done with the bigger one.
20200723_double.jpg
Then standing above using the white water for cover I got two more.
20200723_D2.jpg
I'd flashed a better fish but couldn't get it out again. After another small one I clipped off the wets, and tied on a renegade and danced it on the seam edge in the pool for this one.
20200723_dry.jpg
Great morning. I caught fish the ways I knew, but being teachable is better. Thx again for your suggestions.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info