DIY Rod Tube

Daz

Anybody have any experiences (good or bad) with a DIY rod tube? I've got a two-piece 7'6" 3wt that doesn't have a tube and I really don't want to risk it getting dinged up.

I've looked around online and did find a nice looking pre-made 48" carbon fiber tube on the auction site, but I got to thinking that I should be able to make something myself for less if I can source materials (aluminum or glass tubing and end caps). I know I could go with PVC, but would really prefer something nicer.

Any ideas / suggestions?

SHD

Maybe move this the the classifieds under WTB. I’m sure someone has a rod tube that fits your description for cheap. Probably better than messing around with PVC IMO.

Anybody have any experiences (good or bad) with a DIY rod tube? I've got a two-piece 7'6" 3wt that doesn't have a tube and I really don't want to risk it getting dinged up.

I've looked around online and did find a nice looking pre-made 48" carbon fiber tube on the auction site, but I got to thinking that I should be able to make something myself for less if I can source materials (aluminum or glass tubing and end caps). I know I could go with PVC, but would really prefer something nicer.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Daz

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Seattle area you are welcome to one of these if you’d like.
They are too long (64”) but you could cut it down and customize it as you’d like.
SF

Very kind of you to offer, but I'm about 3300 miles ESE of you...

sroffe

Very kind of you to offer, but I'm about 3300 miles ESE of you...
Nothing like a Sunday afternoon drive. ;)

You might check to see what Rod and Hackle or Mudhole have in the way of rod tubes.

On the other hand, one thing to consider is having a Rod Sock. Probably more important than the rod tube for keeping your rod in good shape. They're pretty easy to make. I have a friend who supplies me with rod socks when I need them.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The zipper on the Cordura rod case for my 7 piece 9' 4 weight pack rod broke beyond repair, per Mrs Brian; a seamstress/quilter. I've made PVC rod tubes but they're heavy and look well...

Rather than Mickey Mouse a velcro closure for the zippered cap, I looked for parts to shorten up a longer aluminum rod tube I have. I think I found that brushed 2" aluminum railing stock, with a brass end cap epoxied in, and a replacement screw off cap might work to make a nice-looking new tube.
However, I wanted something lighter to use for backpacking but that would be stronger than a fluorescent light tube protector...
I went with one of these adjustable rod cases, size large.
Obviously you need something longer.

Jim Darden

Any ideas / suggestions?
The cheapest is the black plastic drain pipe, you can get end caps and screw caps for it and it looks pretty nice. Don't try PCV, (white plastic) it is bulletproof but weighs a ton. For the nicest tube you should get an aluminum rod tube (you can buy them new from LL Bean) and cut it down to meet your needs......

BriGuy

The zipper on the Cordura rod case for my 7 piece 9' 4 weight pack rod broke beyond repair, per Mrs Brian; a seamstress/quilter. I've made PVC rod tubes but they're heavy and look well...

Rather than Mickey Mouse a velcro closure for the zippered cap, I looked for parts to shorten up a longer aluminum rod tube I have. I think I found that brushed 2" aluminum railing stock, with a brass end cap epoxied in, and a replacement screw off cap might work to make a nice-looking new tube.
However, I wanted something lighter to use for backpacking but that would be stronger than a fluorescent light tube protector...
I went with one of these adjustable rod cases, size large.
Obviously you need something longer.

Careful mixing aluminum and brass. Galvanic corrosion might seal it shut for you.

The epoxy might insulate it enough, and the brushed aluminum and brass would look very cool, though.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Well, cheaper yet (I think) is going to Home Depot, lighting section, and buying a clear plastic 48” tube intended for transporting fluorescent lights. They come with black plastic caps. Cut it to length and duct tape one of the caps but leave the other as removable. Not bulletproof by any stretch, but works pretty well, and the lightest thing going for hiking. Fairly key though to have a good rod sock.

if money’s not an issue, call Landmark and order a rod tube in the diameter, length and finish you want. They do great work.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter

Any ideas / suggestions?
I just went out and bought a rod tube for that sized rod. It saved all the hassle of trying to make one.

Buzzy

The zipper on the Cordura rod case for my 7 piece 9' 4 weight pack rod broke beyond repair, per Mrs Brian; a seamstress/quilter. Rather than Mickey Mouse a velcro closure for the zippered cap,
Two of my zippered rod cases no longer zip shut. How frustrating. I'm no seamstress, might be able to sew a button on a shirt but that's it. I wonder if a commercial place could replace the zippers - given the price a new two rod zippered tube for 9' two piece rods...... maybe. Probably not. I like the idea of a MICKEY MOUSE closure

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Two of my zippered rod cases no longer zip shut. How frustrating. I'm no seamstress, might be able to sew a button on a shirt but that's it. I wonder if a commercial place could replace the zippers - given the price a new two rod zippered tube for 9' two piece rods...... maybe. Probably not. I like the idea of a MICKEY MOUSE closure
Find a place that makes canvas covers for boats. They have the equipment to sew that material up. Or go to a cleaners where they do alterations. I had a zipper put in a winter coat. Just looks new now.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts