DIY Rod Tube

PhilR

I've made some from PVC, and I've also gotten some built-in vacuum tubing which is lighter. Then, use this approach for a unique finish. I've done this, and it looks cool.

in one of the comments
Second, and the most fun IMO, is to purchase white pvc, not abs. Using a medium grain sandpaper, sand the length of tube. Get the entire surface sanded. Then, using a rough grain sandpaper (medium will also work) run the sand paper from top to bottom (once or twice only - do not sand back and forth for this step). Force the grit to slice vertical lines down the pipe. Different techniques will give you different effects, you'll have to experiment. Now for the trick - take your favorite color of wood stain, and stain the pipe. Run your clothsponge with the stain from the top of the tube to the bottom. You will notice immediately that your case is taking on an uncanny wood appearance. Some folks can't tell it's pvc even when holding the case. Using a small camp stove and leather gloves, you can kinkbendwarptwist the pipe to increase the wood effect before you sand and stain. Beware of fumes.

I've been making didgeridoo instruments this way for over a decade. Each one is unique, and I've never had anyone guess it was pvc.

WAS

I've made some from PVC, and I've also gotten some built-in vacuum tubing which is lighter. Then, use this approach for a unique finish. I've done this, and it looks cool.

in one of the comments
Second, and the most fun IMO, is to purchase white pvc, not abs. Using a medium grain sandpaper, sand the length of tube. Get the entire surface sanded. Then, using a rough grain sandpaper (medium will also work) run the sand paper from top to bottom (once or twice only - do not sand back and forth for this step). Force the grit to slice vertical lines down the pipe. Different techniques will give you different effects, you'll have to experiment. Now for the trick - take your favorite color of wood stain, and stain the pipe. Run your clothsponge with the stain from the top of the tube to the bottom. You will notice immediately that your case is taking on an uncanny wood appearance. Some folks can't tell it's pvc even when holding the case. Using a small camp stove and leather gloves, you can kinkbendwarptwist the pipe to increase the wood effect before you sand and stain. Beware of fumes.

I've been making didgeridoo instruments this way for over a decade. Each one is unique, and I've never had anyone guess it was pvc.

Interesting stuff Phil, got any pictures?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Very kind of you to offer, but I'm about 3300 miles ESE of you...

No worries.
Good luck in your search.

Anyone in the Seattle area that would like the two tubes I posted earlier in this thread, you are welcome to them.
Pick up in North Seattle.
SF

cdnred

Two of my zippered rod cases no longer zip shut. How frustrating. I'm no seamstress, might be able to sew a button on a shirt but that's it. I wonder if a commercial place could replace the zippers - given the price a new two rod zippered tube for 9' two piece rods...... maybe. Probably not. I like the idea of a MICKEY MOUSE closure
I had an issue with a broken zipper on my leather coat when I was working in Denver. There was a local shoe repair store that repaired shoes, did tailoring and that fixed zippers also. I took my coat in to him and he was able to fix it for like $10. You might try and see if somebody local to you can do similar work or maybe suggest someone that could..

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I had an issue with a broken zipper on my leather coat when I was working in Denver. There was a local shoe repair store that repaired shoes, did tailoring and that fixed zippers also. I took my coat in to him and he was able to fix it for like $10. You might try and see if somebody local to you can do similar work or maybe suggest someone that could..
Maybe the someone else's rod tube is different but Mrs Brian told me the Cordura nylon cover that is glued onto the PVC (pipe) rod tube cap along with the bottom half of the zipper tape and at least 1/2 inch of the Cordura glued to the PVC tube would have to be completely removed from the rod tube so it could be laid flat, the old zipper tape removed with a seam ripper and the new zipper sewed onto the Cordura, preferably with a zipper foot on the sewing machine. She has an old tough-as-nails Singer from the 1930s but they don't make strong enough needles to sew through PVC pipe.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts