Huge Cranefly Question

dflett68

WFF Supporter
i was just called in from the office (the garage since late february), to deal with this guy. we see lots of crane flies every year but i don't think i've ever seen one this big. presume it is a different species from what we usually see, i figure someone here will know. even with the wings swept back, i have the span at almost 3 inches. is that a stinger? looks pretty fearsome.
unnamed.jpg

dflett68

WFF Supporter
i was just called in from the office (the garage since late february), to deal with this guy. we see lots of crane flies every year but i don't think i've ever seen one this big. presume it is a different species from what we usually see, i figure someone here will know. even with the wings swept back, i have the span at almost 3 inches. is that a stinger? looks pretty fearsome.
View attachment 247730
not a stinger, a little searching revealed. and this is apparently a female. still curious about the size of it.

sroffe

I had a big one flying around the house last night. I let them fly. Freaks my 22 year old son out. LOL

DerekWhipple

Giant cranefly larvae that big are secret weapons in the rockies and eastern half of the US. Great fly to fish after a hard rain. I'd use them more here, but I just don't see the adults or larvae around my area (oregon).

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
For scale, had one of those in my tying shop a while ago. The board it's on is a standard 2x4.
They're harmless, but I think I'd freak out if one landed on my face at night!

20170729_212550.jpg

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I’ve had luck with crane fly patterns in sizes 8 and 10 on the Yak and the westside in the fall. Sometimes when it seems nothing else works.

tkww

Out fishing this weekend I ran across one I'd never seen before. Instead of being brown and having brown-veined wings, this thing was gray and had very grayish, opaque wings. Body was probably 2 inches long, and about the diameter of a pencil. It flew with all the agility of a C-5 transport jet.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts