Record Brown Trout on fly in Ireland

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Article is from 2007, and there doesn’t seem to be any other information about it on the web. I suspect that it turned out to be a mis-identified salmon. Not that a 17 pound salmon is anything to sniff at!

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
I though it was cool it was caught by a fly guy who regularly fishes waters open to gear and bait as well.

surfnfish

"The magnificent specimen is to be mounted and displayed in Cong Angling Centre"

Be a lot more magnificent if it was still finning around it's hold and passing on it's gene's...after it's release

GAT

Dumbfounded
I've been watching a flyfishing series on Prime that is entirely shot in New Zealand. Alaska has salmon, steelhead, etc., but the rivers and lakes in NZ constantly hold large rainbow and browns that rival the size of a steelhead. And they catch the huge trout with flies.

Browns are said not to jump but they sure as hell do in New Zealand. The last episode I watched included a guy from GB and one from the US. Both had moved to New Zealand to live just to enjoy the fantastic flyfishing. You know you are a flyfishing junkie if you leave your homeland to live in New Zealand.

Beautiful place with fantastic trout.

gt

NZ is a magical country and i would pick up and move there if it were closer to family and friends :)

Reactions: JS

Albula

swollen member
I've been watching a flyfishing series on Prime that is entirely shot in New Zealand. Alaska has salmon, steelhead, etc., but the rivers and lakes in NZ constantly hold large rainbow and browns that rival the size of a steelhead. And they catch the huge trout with flies.

Browns are said not to jump but they sure as hell do in New Zealand. The last episode I watched included a guy from GB and one from the US. Both had moved to New Zealand to live just to enjoy the fantastic flyfishing. You know you are a flyfishing junkie if you leave your homeland to live in New Zealand.

Beautiful place with fantastic trout.
It is a very special place. We used to accompany groups of anglers to both islands. I wonder how those guys accomplished the move to NZ. The last I knew it required either a needed skill or occupation or the deposit or investment of close to 1M just to acquire part-time residency forget citizenship. Some 15 years ago my daughter went down to the North Island to work for a fishing buddy who owns a prominent lodge there. As lodge owner he had to jump through some major hoops and call in a few administrative favors just to get her in the country. I know when my friend who owned Umpqua Feather Merchants attempted to purchase property and spend a good portion of the year in NZ he had to start and fund a new fly fishing company there just to be considered.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Premium
Browns are said not to jump but they sure as hell do in New Zealand. .

I watched a friend hook a brown that was easily 30”+ on the Trinity in NorCal. It was in a tail out about 18” deep below spawning salmon. We thought it was a large steelhead, Mike put on a globug and 4X tippet, stalked it very carefully. On the hook set it thrashed a second then launched into a 10’ tailwalk down into the riffle below, came back out in a leap upstream that cleared the water by 3’, raced upstream 50 yards, jumped again and fell on the leader and broke off. One of the most violent freshwater fish I’ve ever seen.

gt

It is a very special place. We used to accompany groups of anglers to both islands. I wonder how those guys accomplished the move to NZ. The last I knew it required either a needed skill or occupation or the deposit or investment of close to 1M just to acquire part-time residency forget citizenship. Some 15 years ago my daughter went down to the North Island to work for a fishing buddy who owns a prominent lodge there. As lodge owner he had to jump through some major hoops and call in a few administrative favors just to get her in the country. I know when my friend who owned Umpqua Feather Merchants attempted to purchase property and spend a good portion of the year in NZ he had to start and fund a new fly fishing company there just to be considered.
they stopped recruiting talented folks years ago. yep, 1M is what it takes in liquid assets to be considered, yikes. but i really don't blame them for protecting their country. we met a guy who started a winery on the S island. he learned his trade in OR south of Forest Grove, interesting to talk with him.

GAT

Dumbfounded
What's the name of the series?

PURE FLY NZ (as I just noticed Speyrod answered)

on Amazon Prime... you'll also want to check out customers also watched at the bottom of the screen. I have a lot of flyfishing shows that I book marked but right now I'm working my way through the New Zealand episodes.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts