How much would you pay? All inclusive, on the Missouri River.

SERE Nate

I am looking at purchasing a chunk of land on the Missouri River. The spot is across from Mountain Palace boat ramp, for those familiar with the area. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever seen! There are 40 acres, and 1 mile of riverfront! The only issue is that it is not accessible by road, the only way to get to the property is by boat.

I am looking into putting very nice geodesic domes on the property and running an all inclusive resort there at some point. The idea is that you would put in at Craig or somewhere downstream from Craig, and float to MT Palace, stay the night, have dinner, breakfast and lunch packed for the next day. Float from there to Pelican Point, have a shuttle from there back to MT Palace for dinner, sleep, breakfast, and you are on your way from there.

The logistics are a nightmare, which is why the property hasn't sold for over 10 years. The domes are light enough that you could get them across on a jon boat with a jet on it, then its just a matter of getting the rest of the building supplies over there.

Anyways, what would you spend for a night on the Mo, private access to 1 mile of riverfront, in one of the most beautiful sections of the MO river? Lets assume that you are just getting the room for the night.

What if it was all inclusive? Not including a guide, what would you pay?

Here is a resort in Switzerland that uses the domes and has decked them out very nicely. That is the idea here.

Here is the spot https://psapanoramas1.s3.amazonaws.com/Mountain+Palace+-+Missouri+River+2019.html

Attachments

• MT PALACE.jpg
    MT PALACE.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277
  • MT PALACE2.jpg
    MT PALACE2.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Mountain-Palace-Missouri-River-451x300.jpg
    Mountain-Palace-Missouri-River-451x300.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 123

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Sounds like a recipe for you doing more logistics, management etc and less fishing....
SF

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
"The logistics are a nightmare......"I think you have answered your own question, you would have to depend on a very narrow segment of the fly fishing community to ever turn a profit.

But it does offer a great opportunity to lose a lot of money and end up disillusioned.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
10 years on the market should give you a clue IMHO...

In real estate it is, as you know, ---> location, location, location. Water only access in a state where there is lots of waterfront that is accessible is not a good choice...

How will you ever sell it to recoup your investment? Such a small market - good luck with that!

As someone that has bought and sold a number of waterfront properties in MT. Runaway as fast as you can. There are many other options that are a better investment!

Edited to add: Timing can be a good thing in real estate. With the COVID-19 impact, a number of properties may come up for sale as people can not longer afford them due to joblessness. They may be more negotiable/reasonable in price since they are hurting for money. That is something to keep a look out for so you can take advantage of future 'good deals'....

Last edited:

SERE Nate

I would buy this property and be more than happy living there 4 months out of the year. The idea of running a bed and breakfast type of "resort" is just in the early planning stages. The domes are around $10k, figure $5-7k for the platform, and $20k or so to finish the interior. At $35-50k per dome, it doesn't take too long for them to turn a profit. I stayed at a little cabin in Craig and paid $300 per night, and it wasn't on the water.

At $250 a night, if I can get it booked for 100 nights a year, its paid for itself in 2 years or less

surfnfish

Kicked
Trying to offer overnight river side structure camping 'off book' would likely be short lived, just takes one phone call.
So suggest discussing your idea with the county to understand what requirements would be applicable to secure permitting.
That would frame your all in costs against projected revenue = ROI doable or not.

MT_Flyfisher

It gets hotter than heck out in the sun on the Missouri during the middle of the summer. Plus, there are bugs. Lots of bugs. I sweat a lot, and slather on sunscreen all day.

I want air conditioning and running water for a hot shower. Tell me first that you’ve got that covered before I even think about price. On second thought maybe I’ll just camp in my RV up at Holter.

Porter

Have you fished the stretch yet? If so how long will Walter be around? Here’s the deal. I consider myself a decent fly fisherman ...which rob Allen would say not good enough, and in in way I can’t argue. :p:D;)
One word. Tough! Not impossible, but do you want to? If I had the money I would buy it, and probably leave it unattended and fish it once or twice a year.

chief

I am looking at purchasing a chunk of land on the Missouri River. The spot is across from Mountain Palace boat ramp, for those familiar with the area. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever seen! There are 40 acres, and 1 mile of riverfront! The only issue is that it is not accessible by road, the only way to get to the property is by boat.

I am looking into putting very nice geodesic domes on the property and running an all inclusive resort there at some point. The idea is that you would put in at Craig or somewhere downstream from Craig, and float to MT Palace, stay the night, have dinner, breakfast and lunch packed for the next day. Float from there to Pelican Point, have a shuttle from there back to MT Palace for dinner, sleep, breakfast, and you are on your way from there.

The logistics are a nightmare, which is why the property hasn't sold for over 10 years. The domes are light enough that you could get them across on a jon boat with a jet on it, then its just a matter of getting the rest of the building supplies over there.

Anyways, what would you spend for a night on the Mo, private access to 1 mile of riverfront, in one of the most beautiful sections of the MO river? Lets assume that you are just getting the room for the night.

What if it was all inclusive? Not including a guide, what would you pay?

Here is a resort in Switzerland that uses the domes and has decked them out very nicely. That is the idea here.

Here is the spot https://psapanoramas1.s3.amazonaws.com/Mountain+Palace+-+Missouri+River+2019.html
I think what you describe sounds like a cool experience. I think it would attract a high end clientele, and believe me, when times are good they are willing to pay. The same guys that are coming from the east coast and/or Texas and staying in lodges and people entertaining clients to build relationships. I would think selling it as a package would be more attractive to them. 3 days fishing, 2 nights lodging including guided fishing and upscale meals. I would make alcohol available but charge per drink. Look at what the dude ranches are charging, and resorts that cater to corporate outings like Paws Up. That is your market. Timing might be bad for developing a hospitality business right now with the Covid scare. I am in the incentive travel/meeting business, and our industry is being hit hard. But when times return to a more normal environment, I would definitely offer this type of experience to my clients.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts