How much would you pay? All inclusive, on the Missouri River.

SERE Nate

It gets hotter than heck out in the sun on the Missouri during the middle of the summer. Plus, there are bugs. Lots of bugs. I sweat a lot, and slather on sunscreen all day.

I want air conditioning and running water for a hot shower. Tell me first that you’ve got that covered before I even think about price. On second thought maybe I’ll just camp in my RV up at Holter.
There is power to the property, so ac wouldn't be an issue. Trying to figure out how to dig a well over there with no road access is a different story, and one of the biggest obstacles imo

SERE Nate

Trying to offer overnight river side structure camping 'off book' would likely be short lived, just takes one phone call.
So suggest discussing your idea with the county to understand what requirements would be applicable to secure permitting.
That would frame your all in costs against projected revenue = ROI doable or not.
Definitely would be looking at running a legit business. Not just renting out camp spots

SERE Nate

Have you fished the stretch yet? If so how long will Walter be around? Here’s the deal. I consider myself a decent fly fisherman ...which rob Allen would say not good enough, and in in way I can’t argue. :p:D;)
One word. Tough! Not impossible, but do you want to? If I had the money I would buy it, and probably leave it unattended and fish it once or twice a year.
I've fished it many times. Lots of opportunities there.

SERE Nate

You’re going to run into a lot of issues explaining it to the insurance company. Might want to get those numbers and see if they’ll even insure it. Vacation rental insurance is a completely different animal. When Karen rolls her ankle getting out of the Jon boat you’re going to want it.

Also, what regulations or licenses would allow you to portage “customers” in a boat? Guide license good enough? How many people will you be allowed to take at a time? What sort of hoops do you need to jump through?

What happens when a pair of lovely hipsters, enamored with your glamping idea. get some food poisoning from the warm fava bean sandwiches and goats milk they’ve stored incorrectly? Or, lodge a hatchet in their shin, or see a grizzly bear and piss their organic selves?

Not your fault, but are you going to have a host to portage their butts out of there at any hour? Or, will they call in a panicked satellite distress on their garmin and create a shit storm for you to deal with?

Last - you gonna have WiFi? Sounds ridiculous right? But if you don’t you’re going to miss out on a lot of the work from home vrbo crowd.
There's room for a helicopter pad, which might actually be a part of the future plan for the high end clients who want easy access.

SERE Nate

Why just 4 months a year? What about the hunting season and associated clientele? Maybe create some trails for skiing and snowmobiles?
The river does freeze up in that section, so access would be nearly impossible, I don't think it freezes solid enough to drive across, but I was more referring to the time that I would be there. We have a home in Whitefish which is about 4 hours away, and we enjoy our time there as well, especially during ski season

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
From one end of the property to the other is one mile. Yes, you can fish up to the high water mark, but with the way the bank is, you'd be hard pressed to wade fish there without getting on private property.

If someone floated down and wanted to stay the night, what would the plan be for their boats based on your description of the bank and would you be able to compensate for water level fluctuations and clients being able to get out of their or your boat safely. You might be dealing with some less then spring chicken clientele.

There's room for a helicopter pad, which might actually be a part of the future plan for the high end clients who want easy access.

Are there neighboring homes that have road access or live there year round?
You mentioned it being forty acres, which isn’t really that large. You also mentioned it being beautiful.
Would you really want helicopters flying in there and
if there are neighbors, how would they feel about that?
SF

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
One thing I've learned in the last 5 years being in the charter/guide industry is that high end clients have high end expectations.

I think if done right you could easily sell that experience. If you're going to target high end clientel you need to have all the high end bases covered.

Getting people to pay for that wouldn't be too hard, IMO. But if you really want to attract the high end folks you'll have to really go above and beyond in all aspects.

I think it sounds pretty cool, but of course I know nothing of that area

Albula

swollen member
I think it is admirable that you have dreams and aspirations for a unique piece of property. As someone who has in the past been tasked with enlisting investors to take part in similar endeavors I would add a word of caution. As you construct your prospectus do not feature feedback you receive here as validation for your concept.

Bugmeister

@SERE Nate Your entrepreneurial spirit is awesome and as i think Einstein said, “If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” That said, I do think it would be a really tough slog, especially if you are new to hospitality industry to boot.

I will shoot you a PM with an alternate option - a business (business + the real estate it sits on) currently listed in MT that will scratch any hospitality itch you have :). I have no relationship to the business or the owners beyond being a patron there since I was just a wee lad.

Tight lines.

SERE Nate

If someone floated down and wanted to stay the night, what would the plan be for their boats based on your description of the bank and would you be able to compensate for water level fluctuations and clients being able to get out of their or your boat safely. You might be dealing with some less then spring chicken clientele.

Are there neighboring homes that have road access or live there year round?
You mentioned it being forty acres, which isn’t really that large. You also mentioned it being beautiful.
Would you really want helicopters flying in there and
if there are neighbors, how would they feel about that?
SF
There are 2 good access points where you could easily park a boat for the night. You could also easily have a golf cart or side by side at the location for transport up to where the sites would be. I don't want them right on the river as I too value the aesthetics of the area.

The land is bordered by another 70 acre lot that is also for sale. It is currently blm land with no road access.

The 40 acres is a peninsula that is split in half by 3 200 foot tall slabs of rock. There is room on both sides of the rock for sites, which would add to the seclusion.

SERE Nate

One thing I've learned in the last 5 years being in the charter/guide industry is that high end clients have high end expectations.

I think if done right you could easily sell that experience. If you're going to target high end clientel you need to have all the high end bases covered.

Getting people to pay for that wouldn't be too hard, IMO. But if you really want to attract the high end folks you'll have to really go above and beyond in all aspects.

I think it sounds pretty cool, but of course I know nothing of that area
Thanks Nick! If I end up getting this going, you'll have to come and experience it, my treat this time.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts