How much would you pay? All inclusive, on the Missouri River.

JACKspASS

One thing I've learned in the last 5 years being in the charter/guide industry is that high end clients have high end expectations.

I think if done right you could easily sell that experience. If you're going to target high end clientel you need to have all the high end bases covered.

Getting people to pay for that wouldn't be too hard, IMO. But if you really want to attract the high end folks you'll have to really go above and beyond in all aspects.

I think it sounds pretty cool, but of course I know nothing of that area

Did I just hear the roar of a 17' center console fire up? @SERE Nate If you hire him, they will come.....

ChrisC

Everyone can fish it, from the river. It's really not a great wading spot. There is a channel on the other side of an island on the upriver end of the property with some great fishing
If there's not easily accessible wading for people while staying there, that diminishes considerably it's appeal.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Have you researched/looked into viability of a 4 month retreat? There are a number in Canada and Alaska that one could obtain info if they are willing to share. May be some in Montana also...

One of the posters above has experience with obtaining investor money. Are you funding this all on your own or will you need financing from outside investors? It takes money to make money.

One should look at the business model and see if it is profitable in the short and long run. Look at failure rate of those that have tried and reasons why thy failed.

If/when 'executive' is added to the equation, costs will go way up due to expectations/requirements.

It is great that you have thought a lot of this through and have a lot of answers to the questions asked. But there is much more requiring more information. When purchasing land for investment there are those that are 'deer in the headlights' and those that dream and can carry through the dream to the end. The latter are few and far between for sure...

Do your due diligence, hire professionals to give you unbiased advice, and determine if it is viable...

Good luck in your endeavors!

Last edited:
B

bennysbuddy

Sounds like a possible interesting Venture ,that said I have spent a Bunch of money to float the Grand Canyon sleep in a self pitched tent & poop in a glorified bucket for a week at a time. We thought it was a grand time the food was some fantastic Dutch oven meals. Some of our friend thought we were crazy to spend that kind of money to go on a guided camping trip. To each there own !

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
You’ll never get financing for that and you don’t have the cash so it’s a moot point.

He may have to cash to be able to start small and grow it into something bigger. By doing that he could get investors to help the vision. Just sayin'.

I do not know his finances but if he can not pay cash for the property upfront it is at least a huge challenge for sure...

I have always paid cash for my bare land investments in MT. Some made a lot of money, some made some money, and some I broke even (thankfully). 1031 exchanges helped a lot for sure but it takes a lot of work, timing, and coordination...

wetline dave

Buying some time of a CPA that specializes in small businesses could be invaluable. Ask what all the expected costs would be. Talk with an attorney specializing in small businesses and set-up needs.

Staff to keep things running is going to be a big expense., Figure out how big of a staff you will require and don't think two people can do it all. Find out the true cost of employees. Are staff going to have on-site lodging?

Be realistic in your planning and do no not focus on all the perceived up sides. There are a lot of negatives to consider and it is the negatives that will sink your plans.

Good luck. By the way I owned and operated a small business for 30 years so I do have a bit of insight.

Dave

Jiminsandiego

One thing I would consider is the notion of "dealing with the public". I have some limited experience dealing with "passengers" that pay gobs of money to go fishing. Sometimes this can be quite challenging for the people dealing with them.

Mike.Cline

Bozeman, Montana
As much as you might think it will be easy if people will come and pay, something like this on the MO will be a pain to even get off the ground. Although, a recent Gallatin River glamping project might be different from your idea, it is receiving a lot of push back from the public and regulatory agencies.

Gallatin River Glampground Controversy

We have a seasoned Conservation District dude on our MGTU chapter board who has kept us abreast of this controversy. It has been a minefield for the Gallatin project and will be for something like what you are proposing. At every step of the way, another agency is lining up to ensure everything is kopasetic. All the while, the public and advocacy groups are plotting against you, no matter how good your intentions are. Unfortunately, this is not a parallel process, but a serial one where for every hurdle you clear, others are put up. If you don’t dot your eyes and cross your tees perfectly, things will be delayed and costs will go up. From a budget standpoint, hire a good lawyer first.

IMHO

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
That land is ideal for preservation

The best way to preserve that land is with a helicopter pad.

smc

@SERE Nate

That is a beautiful place. Have you actually been to the property?

The reason I ask is: Your prospective clients will not be looking at photos of the land when they get there. They will be looking at their surroundings.

You mentioned that there is a trailer park across the river. I see a couple of roads fronting the other side of the river, one that looks like a highway. These are things you should consider, as they will directly impact the experience of your (potential) clients, and the amount you would be able to charge.

You should be able to get 1st time visitors with a good marketing campaign. But the real value of a marketing campaign is "customer acquisition". Unless you're selling widgets with a huge profit margin that will pay for your marketing, you need to turn those 1st time customers into return customers. Under promise, over deliver.

If you don't succeed at that... Well, take a drive around the country. You'll see plenty of evidence of dreams that failed. These carcasses of broken dreams litter the rural landscape, mostly due to lack of experience and sufficient capital.

I would say that If you're going to offer a unique place to stay that is really hard to get to, you need to be far away from trailer parks and highways.

You need to study your competition.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts