How much would you pay? All inclusive, on the Missouri River.

SERE Nate

@SERE Nate

That is a beautiful place. Have you actually been to the property?

The reason I ask is: Your prospective clients will not be looking at photos of the land when they get there. They will be looking at their surroundings.

You mentioned that there is a trailer park across the river. I see a couple of roads fronting the other side of the river, one that looks like a highway. These are things you should consider, as they will directly impact the experience of your (potential) clients, and the amount you would be able to charge.

You should be able to get 1st time visitors with a good marketing campaign. But the real value of a marketing campaign is "customer acquisition". Unless you're selling widgets with a huge profit margin that will pay for your marketing, you need to turn those 1st time customers into return customers. Under promise, over deliver.

If you don't succeed at that... Well, take a drive around the country. You'll see plenty of evidence of dreams that failed. These carcasses of broken dreams litter the rural landscape, mostly due to lack of experience and sufficient capital.

I would say that If you're going to offer a unique place to stay that is really hard to get to, you need to be far away from trailer parks and highways.

You need to study your competition.
I walked the entire property a few weeks ago. The trailer park is only visible from the very top of the property, and on the backside of the rock formation. The main part of the property can't see the residential area due to the rock columns

cdnred

I walked the entire property a few weeks ago. The trailer park is only visible from the very top of the property, and on the backside of the rock formation. The main part of the property can't see the residential area due to the rock columns
When you have wealthy clients coming in paying big bucks to stay at your place, they're looking for relaxation and solitude. They may not be able to view the trailer park or highway from where they're staying but they'll have to contend with it once they go out on the water. With the number of trailers or homes along that stretch of water, it will be congested to say the least especially when you're trying to fish. The location that you're looking to setup is not isolated enough for the privacy that people/clients are willing to pay for. Your location is beautiful that may draw a lot of interest if it wasn't for the fact that the trailer park is in your backyard. That location would make a sweet retreat for yourself but as a fishing lodge for wealthy clients, it may only work out for a couple of years..

B

bennysbuddy

How do you know what I have and don't have? Mom? Is that you?
By now you have learn the perils of asking for opinions on a web forum, use this lesson in the future , internet experts with no experience in the subject matter are bountiful on the internet & their opinions are worth what you pay for them.

duggiefresh

Damn looks like a great place. I was able to find it pretty easily on the internet, and might outbid you.

Just kidding. I would pay $0 since I'm not the target audience, but good luck on your endeavors.

fmunoz

I think I may be the first one to actually answer the question, if the place was nice and clean I wouldn't mind paying $400 a night for two people. And I'd probably be a repeat customer...

Edit: I was mostly looking at the accommodations part of it, not really considering the "all inclusive" part.

SERE Nate

When you have wealthy clients coming in paying big bucks to stay at your place, they're looking for relaxation and solitude. They may not be able to view the trailer park or highway from where they're staying but they'll have to contend with it once they go out on the water. With the number of trailers or homes along that stretch of water, it will be congested to say the least especially when you're trying to fish. The location that you're looking to setup is not isolated enough for the privacy that people/clients are willing to pay for. Your location is beautiful that may draw a lot of interest if it wasn't for the fact that the trailer park is in your backyard. That location would make a sweet retreat for yourself but as a fishing lodge for wealthy clients, it may only work out for a couple of years..
It's probably a mile from from the property, and on the other side of the river.

Whitewater

Spent many years guiding for a high end big name fishing lodge that owned spring creeks surrounded by hundreds of acres of prime land plus riverfront on a major western river.

$600- $800 / PP / night is reasonable. But that should get you a remote area, some private water, mints on the pillow, very good chef, possibly liquor included, very attentive staff, and Fortune 500 level customers to rub shoulders with, who may/may not be able to use a fly rod.

Suggestion #1 write up a business plan, pay for an hour with a CPA familiar with guest operations.
Suggestion #2: look at websites from high end fishing operations in MT/Colorado/Idaho/Wyoming for perspective. See if there's reviews on TripAdvisor.com
Suggestion #3: the big money is in corporate business, e.g. for annual sales rewards or preferred customers. I worked for an operation that hosted clients from Japan, the Middle East, and Mexico, occasionally No. Europe.

The high end fly fishing operation in the first paragraph had about 25 really good years but is no longer in business. Questionable management decisions, a recession, change in people's vacation habits eventually lead to foreclosure.

Last edited:

gt

great cabins to rent in Craig, easy access to the river, fly shop with multiple guides working, what more would i want??

SERE Nate

great cabins to rent in Craig, easy access to the river, fly shop with multiple guides working, what more would i want??
Not having to stay in Craig or Wolf Creek? I get it. I love Craig, spend around 6 days a month there. But you don't have many options for food, the accommodations in town are so so at best. I am friends with a lot of the guides and locals there. The guides that I have talked to have all thought it was a great idea. I'm talking about guides with 10+ years on the river.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts