How much would you pay? All inclusive, on the Missouri River.

SERE Nate

And that river isn't all that wide like the Columbia is. I'm sure you'd be able to hear people talking or partying right across the river, there goes the solitude..

Not really, there is a small bar that is only open to guests, and there are 4 or 5 small rooms for rent. I was there for a corporate event and I think we had a total of 10-12 people. Its set back pretty far from the river., and is on the opposite side of the main road, its not right on the water, and the rooms are even further back.

ChrisC

Spent many years guiding for a high end big name fishing lodge that owned spring creeks surrounded by hundreds of acres of prime land plus riverfront on a major western river.

$600- $800 / PP / night isn't out of the question. But that gets you a remote area, some private water, mints on the pillow, very good chef, possibly liquor included, very attentive staff, and Fortune 500 level customers to rub shoulders with, who may/may not be able to use a fly rod.

Suggestion #1 write up a business plan, pay for an hour with a CPA familiar with guest operations.
Suggestion #2: look at websites from high end fishing operations in MT/Colorado/Idaho/Wyoming
Suggestion #3: there is real money, repeat business, in corporate trips.

The high end fly fishing operation in the first paragraph had about 25 really good years but is no longer in business. Questionable management decisions, a recession, change in people's vacation habits eventually lead to foreclosure.
Curious, what was the change in vacation habits? Thanks.

gt

Not having to stay in Craig or Wolf Creek? I get it. I love Craig, spend around 6 days a month there. But you don't have many options for food, the accommodations in town are so so at best. I am friends with a lot of the guides and locals there. The guides that I have talked to have all thought it was a great idea. I'm talking about guides with 10+ years on the river.
well i guess you need to sign up and pay the freight charges for exclusive access, something i don't really care about. and i would have to wonder how many others would join you in paying a premium price for such an experience. maybe the business is there and i am being myopic, who knows, certainly not me.

SERE Nate

The other option, which is more likely to be the starting point, is that we build a very nice dome for ourselves. It will be 30 ft wide, around 1000 sf, with a loft, kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor shower. Large deck with wader storage, outdoor kitchen, and seating with a view. We would probably stay there 100 or so days a year and vrbo it the rest of the time. We just stayed in a cabin up Rock Creek and they did basically that. There was no laundry service, no cleaning service, etc. Bring your own bedding and clean up after yourself. We loved it.

SERE Nate

well i guess you need to sign up and pay the freight charges for exclusive access, something i don't really care about. and i would have to wonder how many others would join you in paying a premium price for such an experience. maybe the business is there and i am being myopic, who knows, certainly not me.
We stayed in an amazing vrbo that was down river of Craig. I think it was around $700 a night and had 4 bedrooms. We split it between 2 couples and it was great. Just not something that I can do every month.

We've got the lookout lodge rented for next month, my cousin is coming in town from Arkansas. It's a good deal at $250 a night for the upper house.

Whitewater

To Chris C: change in vacation trends.

Places get written about, the hype starts, media features destination articles, it's on TV, entertainment personalities vacation there. Eventually fading and the next lodge/personality/ destination gets the media attention. Ski areas are a good example, so are the Kardashians.

Attributed to Yogi Berra, " Its so popular nobody goes there any more..."

Last edited:

Krusty

Outta Here
The other option, which is more likely to be the starting point, is that we build a very nice dome for ourselves. It will be 30 ft wide, around 1000 sf, with a loft, kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor shower. Large deck with wader storage, outdoor kitchen, and seating with a view. We would probably stay there 100 or so days a year and vrbo it the rest of the time. We just stayed in a cabin up Rock Creek and they did basically that. There was no laundry service, no cleaning service, etc. Bring your own bedding and clean up after yourself. We loved it.
Now that's the ticket!

Tim Ihle

Or the remoteness of it might just be the appeal. For some at least who are looking for something a little different than your typical lodge or Craig motel room
But it’s not remote. You’d be staring at the boat ramp and people camping and playing music. You’d also be listening to the never ending roar of the hwy.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I'll go against the general view here and hope you can make it work.
Higher end stuff is a smaller market but more resilient in bad economic times.
Let me know if you need a fly tier/chef/guide/gopher....
;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts