Tiger Musky

@Steve Saville, what size flies was he having you throw? what color? I'm considering booking a trip with him for later this summer....always looking to learn more about these creatures.

most of the fish, yes (most, not all). You'd have to downsize your flies. Personally, my best producer is in the 8" range and super easy to cast, so it would work on an 8. But, tying, fishing and swimming those larger articulated patterns is really really fun, so I just go with my 10 wts.
The flies we were using were about seven inches long, mostly white. We did use a couple of black ones but white was the color of the day.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I seriously doubt it and even if it would it would stress the fish so badly that it might not survive.

Interesting.
I've personally never caught a muskie, but watched a ton of videos of fly fishing for them during the quarantine trying to learn more about fishing for them.
Unfortunately, my trip to Minnesota was cancelled.
A lot of the fish were hooked up close to the boat with a lot of splashing, but most of the fights were relatively short and unspectacular. Many were a couple minutes of less with some being extremely short. The eats were spectacular!
In the right hands and taking the fight to the fish, it sure didn't look like if someone was using an 8 wt they'd stress a fish out so bad it might not survive. Maybe in high water temps?
It seems people using bigger rods has more to do with the size of the flies as mentioned versus the fight of the fish.
I’m not saying an 8 wt is the right tool for the job, but if that is biggest rod a person had it seems to me in would work in a pinch.
Again, just my observations.
SF

Last edited:

PhilR

Premium
I have a 8/9 switch rod with a Skagit set up. What do you guys think about that?

8/9 switch is equivalent to 10/11 single hand, isn't it? Should be enough, but the length might be rough on your shoulder with all that casting.

Personally, I find need to actually control a fish with the rod entirely overrated. Maybe when I actually catch one, I'll change my tune...

Dr. Magill

8/9 switch is equivalent to 10/11 single hand, isn't it? Should be enough, but the length might be rough on your shoulder with all that casting.

Personally, I find need to actually control a fish with the rod entirely overrated. Maybe when I actually catch one, I'll change my tune...
I spey cast it

We saw lots of fish. Many followed the flies to the boat and then veered off or dove down. The fish I caught was about 50 feet from the boat. I had begun stripping and saw the flash of the fish near the surface. They bite very soft so I wasn't quite sure I had the fish until a few seconds later when it started taking line. It was a strong fish and took line three or four times. It took about five minutes to control it and get it near the boat for the last time. It was still thrashing in the net. A quick pic and back in the water.

Dr. Magill

When I lived in Northern Arizona we waded this lake outside if town and spin casted into the shallows - like 1-2 feet deep, for Pike. Man that was a lot of fun. Jitter Bugs, Thin Fin lures - that sort of thing. The lake had some monsters but not for me.

I went the first time about ten years ago and lost one fish. Then I took my boat down about five years ago and didn’t see a fish. My expectations for this last trip were relatively low but I hadn’t been out for several months. I figured I did’t have much to lose and I was going stir crazy like most everyone else. I expect I will go again because it pretty close and not overpriced. The fishing wasn’t bad this tome either. I checked another species off my list.

Since I got back, I've been thinking a lot about the flies. I'm thinking a "Beast" fly, originated by Bob Popovics might do the trick. I've never tried tying one. I have his book and have read through it and I watched a video last night that he made on how he ties them. I have all of the materials to make one. His are in the 10" to 12" range I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to down size it a bit to a 7" or 8" fly and I've got about 50 buck tails in various colors so I might give it a shot and see what happens. I've also been looking for a Musky rod in the 11 wt. range. I believe I found one. Next would be to try various lines to make sure I find the one that will work the best. I'm even considering an OPST Commando line because of it's short head and quick load. I spent a lot of time false casting to get my line back out after stripping it all to the boat. The line might cut that down 40 to 50%. It's a lot to think about but I suppose I haven't much else to do unless I want to go outside and do yard work. :eek:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts