Tiger Musky

Dr. Magill

Is the beast fly a hollow tie? I think it is. I’ve been following Gunnar Brammer and learning a lot about buck tail and fly structure. You might look at some of his you tube vids. A little lengthy but lots of really great info
I was thinking about the commando in this application
I’m wondering if that’s a good idea or not

It is. It's tied on a large hook and a section of hard, straightened mono. You mark off intervals with a sharpie and after the first section, the tail, everything else is a hollow tie. The mono is bound down to the hook and the remainder of the fly is done on the hook, hollow style. Less material, easier to cast in theory.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
Premium
Since I got back, I've been thinking a lot about the flies. I'm thinking a "Beast" fly, originated by Bob Popovics might do the trick. I've never tried tying one. I have his book and have read through it and I watched a video last night that he made on how he ties them. I have all of the materials to make one. His are in the 10" to 12" range I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to down size it a bit to a 7" or 8" fly and I've got about 50 buck tails in various colors so I might give it a shot and see what happens. I've also been looking for a Musky rod in the 11 wt. range. I believe I found one. Next would be to try various lines to make sure I find the one that will work the best. I'm even considering an OPST Commando line because of it's short head and quick load. I spent a lot of time false casting to get my line back out after stripping it all to the boat. The line might cut that down 40 to 50%. It's a lot to think about but I suppose I haven't much else to do unless I want to go outside and do yard work. :eek:

I really like the SA Sonar Titan tapers for this (personally I prefer sinking lines & use a full intermediate--same taper--for shallow work). A false cast or two to get most of the head back out and let it fly.

I've tied exactly one Beast Fly ...not super fun to tie, but casts well. Instead, if I go with a Popovics style, it's more of his bucktail deceiver style. Easier to tie, easier to cast & great if you don't need something larger than 10" or so. If you don't have it already, his book is an outstanding resource. Also, as stated previously Gunnar Brammer has a bunch of excellent videos

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

I really like the SA Sonar Titan tapers for this (personally I prefer sinking lines & use a full intermediate--same taper--for shallow work). A false cast or two to get most of the head back out and let it fly.

I've tied exactly one Beast Fly ...not super fun to tie, but casts well. Instead, if I go with a Popovics style, it's more of his bucktail deceiver style. Easier to tie, easier to cast & great if you don't need something larger than 10" or so. If you don't have it already, his book is an outstanding resource. Also, as stated previously Gunnar Brammer has a bunch of excellent videos
Does he tie that bulkhead style?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
Premium
I started a new thread along tiger tying lines so that we don't take too much away from this excellent report.

Cheers!
Randy

Speyrod GB

I used an 11wt Wulff salt water triangle taper on my Echo Ion XL 10 wt. Very few false casts and shoots well, provided I let the rod do the work. My go to colors were black and white on the body of water you were fishing.

Does he tie that bulkhead style?
If you Google Beast Fly, you can find a video of him, tying the fly. It was always a mystery to me how he was able to get the flies to look like they do but the video really cleared things up and made it look a lot easier to tie. Of course, he invented the technique and is practiced at it bit I believe after watching that video that I could tie that fly. I looked last night at the straightened shock tippets that I have and they seem to be a bit to small in diameter so I am looking for something else to use as the extended piece. I'm thinking lawn trimming cord or something along those lines.

dustinchromers

Since I got back, I've been thinking a lot about the flies. I'm thinking a "Beast" fly, originated by Bob Popovics might do the trick. I've never tried tying one. I have his book and have read through it and I watched a video last night that he made on how he ties them. I have all of the materials to make one. His are in the 10" to 12" range I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to down size it a bit to a 7" or 8" fly and I've got about 50 buck tails in various colors so I might give it a shot and see what happens. I've also been looking for a Musky rod in the 11 wt. range. I believe I found one. Next would be to try various lines to make sure I find the one that will work the best. I'm even considering an OPST Commando line because of it's short head and quick load. I spent a lot of time false casting to get my line back out after stripping it all to the boat. The line might cut that down 40 to 50%. It's a lot to think about but I suppose I haven't much else to do unless I want to go outside and do yard work. :eek:

I chime in cause I've been down these same rabbit holes. As far as flies I've tried many. My most successful and reliable are the ties that I've elaborated on starting with the Ed Walzer style yak flies. Mike showed them to me and they are what I started off with. The themes have gotten more elaborate and the colors as well as the materials have gotten more exciting with allot of tastefully placed saddle. But the original theme is a very castable, neutrally bouyant, and effective. Must have yak for me. I've had luck with a myriad selection of flies but those original tried and true designs have been the basis for my confidence and creations. They aren't overtly complicated but are a good platform to improvise and add in some flare.

On the commando head. I've tried that. I've not liked it unless fishing some special situation wading, which is rare for me. I like full lines for musky that you can retrieve right to the boat and smoothly deploy again without knots and bumps in the guides. I like the ambush for short work and the swt cold water line from wulff for the main stuff. Many lines will work. Outbound short is good as is the Titan and both come in a variety of usable musky formats. The theme being I really need to have a single smooth line rather than the modular. The ambush is the shortest you can get and be one piece.

dustinchromers

I used an 11wt Wulff salt water triangle taper on my Echo Ion XL 10 wt. Very few false casts and shoots well, provided I let the rod do the work. My go to colors were black and white on the body of water you were fishing.

These are the lines I use and prefer to all else. Fished one weight over lined or even two they are perfect for the musk.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I chime in cause I've been down these same rabbit holes. As far as flies I've tried many. My most successful and reliable are the ties that I've elaborated on starting with the Ed Walzer style yak flies. Mike showed them to me and they are what I started off with. The themes have gotten more elaborate and the colors as well as the materials have gotten more exciting with allot of tastefully placed saddle. But the original theme is a very castable, neutrally bouyant, and effective. Must have yak for me. I've had luck with a myriad selection of flies but those original tried and true designs have been the basis for my confidence and creations. They aren't overtly complicated but are a good platform to improvise and add in some flare.

On the commando head. I've tried that. I've not liked it unless fishing some special situation wading, which is rare for me. I like full lines for musky that you can retrieve right to the boat and smoothly deploy again without knots and bumps in the guides. I like the ambush for short work and the swt cold water line from wulff for the main stuff. Many lines will work. Outbound short is good as is the Titan and both come in a variety of usable musky formats. The theme being I really need to have a single smooth line rather than the modular. The ambush is the shortest you can get and be one piece.
Is there a good reference to ED's flies somewhere?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts