Tiger Musky

cebe

Would it be possible to use 30 feet of T-8 or T-11 to cast a five inch pike fly on a 9 wt rod or should I get a tapered sinking 9 wt line?

Mark Kadoshima

I'm set and psyched! Got my 10 wt all set up and had Puget Sound Fly shop build three leaders for me. I figure Mayfield is two and a half hours away....so just a good day trip. Is there any 'etiquette' as far as Muskie fishing? I'll be using my kayak....so is it just like trout fishing a lake, or do you need to give a lot more distance between boats?

I'm set and psyched! Got my 10 wt all set up and had Puget Sound Fly shop build three leaders for me. I figure Mayfield is two and a half hours away....so just a good day trip. Is there any 'etiquette' as far as Muskie fishing? I'll be using my kayak....so is it just like trout fishing a lake, or do you need to give a lot more distance between boats?

Who cares about etiquette, it's about catching really big feesh. Sneak up behind Clarkman, then throw your fly right to where he's casting - sure to catch a Tiger

cheers

My understanding of the fishery is that it has a pseudo season of late March through September. I've heard that in October the bite falls off. I'm gearing up right now.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
Premium
Water temp at Merwin yesterday was still under 42. Marked fish in the warmer bay & even got a 'tap tap tap' drifting over one (strip set yielded nothing). I got one last year at this time, but the water temp was also a bit warmer last year at this time (high 40s/low 50s). Saw a couple of rollers right around the major.

"I guess that's why they call it fishin'....."

To Steve's point, yeah, things definitely drop off late Fall, but I've also got one of my largest in November. "so you're sayin' there's a chance..."

Last edited:

Saltycutthroat

Well, after reading through this thread, it looks like I have a new species to obsess over. Looks like I will be investing in a musky setup very soon.

cebe

I don't think it would be effective. Where are you trying to fish?
I am in northern Michigan and am going to fish the lakes around here. I have some T material so thought it might be useful as a sinking shooting head. I use to use something similar for fishing bigger striped bass flies, just not as big as these pike and muskie flies.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
Premium
Would it be possible to use 30 feet of T-8 or T-11 to cast a five inch pike fly on a 9 wt rod or should I get a tapered sinking 9 wt line?

Talk to your local guys to see what they use. Honestly, I've used a 30' section of t-14 in the past and it works fine if you're fishing deeper than 10'. There's always going to be the loop to loop bump to deal with (I managed to work it out to where mine was quite small) so functionally, you can fish deeper (I'm a big fan of fishing multiple setups for multiple depths---sometimes you have to go down and get them), buuuuuut, I'll never use that setup ever again because that's also the only time I've broken a fly line fishing. It broke right at the rear loop. I felt bad for the fish, but moments later I could see the fish sulking at the bottom (15' down) and it wasn't attached to the line (one of many great reasons to mash your barbs). These days, I have specialty full integrated lines to get deep.

What’s a 6 month pseudo season?
It's not a specific season like Ling cod being May 1st to June 15th. It's a season when the fishing picks up (fish biting) and when the bite dies off. Sorry. I couldn't think of an adjective that would describe the time of year that the fishing for when Tiger Musky is most generally the best. Before and after, it's becomes a fish of 10,000 casts. They don't generally bite before or after probably due to water temp and atmospheric conditions.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts