Trip Report Daughter/Dad Time - Middle Fork of the Salmon River

Well it most likely wasn't the wisest choice during this COVID-19 panadamic, but I was able to escape with my daughter for a 6 day - 5 night Float down the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.

We ended up going with Middle Fork Adventures - great group of folks.

This purpose of the trip was not fishing - it was for the Whitewater, the outdoor experience, and spending time with my daughter. But of course I was did bring the fly rod & fish for about 90 minutes each morning and then often at lunch & then for an hour or so in the evening at camp. On day four of the trip I was able to fish from a supply boat for the day while my daughter went off and spent the day on a "Duckie" which was kind of an inflatable kayak. Having that day to fish was fun but I did prefer spending my time in the paddle raft hitting the rapids :).

Westslope Cutties are the primary fish in the Middle Fork, there are a few Rainbows and Bulls available as well - but it is a Cutthroat fishery. Typical size is around 9-10 inches, caught a few in the 13-14 inch range. Not much in terms of fight but a few of them were brightly colored and you just couldn't beat the scenery and just being in such majestic and beautiful area it was HEAVEN for me. The fish weren't difficult to fool, a decent Stone Fly hatch was occuring so a small rubber legged Stimulator or Renegade on top did the job. I did catch a few on a Red Copper John on a dropper and the first day I did try some streamer fishing on a sink tip - no lover there - so stuck to the basics of all fly fishing - big, fluffy, boant, dry flies on a floating line was the ticket, the basic, non-technical and IMHO the basic foundation of fly fishing itself.

Fish:
MFS_GoPro_21.jpg MFS_Fish_01.jpg
MFS_Fish_02.jpg
MFS_Fish_04.jpg

Rapids:
MFS_GoPro_37.jpg
MFS_GoPro_41.jpg MFS_GoPro_62.jpg
View attachment MF5_6438.JPG

Scenery:
View attachment MF5_6541.JPG
MFS_GoPro_24.jpg
Photo Jul 09, 10 00 53 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 08, 3 20 56 PM.jpg

Good Times:
Photo Jul 11, 11 30 44 AM.jpg

Peach

Gregobr

WFF Supporter
That’s a beautiful trip! I did it several years ago with both of my kids, and hope to do it again soon.

Well it most likely wasn't the wisest choice during this COVID-19 panadamic, but I was able to escape with my daughter for a 6 day - 5 night Float down the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.

This purpose of the trip was not fishing - it was for the Whitewater, the outdoor experience, and spending time with my daughter. But of course I was did bring the fly rod & fish for about 90 minutes each morning and then often at lunch & then for an hour or so in the evening at camp. On day four of the trip I was able to fish from a supply boat for the day while my daughter went off and spent the day on a "Duckie" which was kind of an inflatable kayak. Having that day to fish was fun but I did prefer spending my time in the paddle raft hitting the rapids :).

Westslope Cutties are the primary fish in the Middle Fork, there are a few Rainbows and Bulls available as well - but it is a Cutthroat fishery. Typical size is around 9-10 inches, caught a few in the 13-14 inch range. Not much in terms of fight but a few of them were brightly colored and you just couldn't beat the scenery and just being in such majestic and beautiful area it was HEAVEN for me. The fish weren't difficult to fool, a decent Stone Fly hatch was occuring so a small rubber legged Stimulator or Renegade on top did the job. I did catch a few on a Red Copper John on a dropper and the first day I did try some streamer fishing on a sink tip - no lover there - so stuck to the basics of all fly fishing - big, fluffy, boant, dry flies on a floating line was the ticket, the basic, non-technical and IMHO the basic foundation of fly fishing itself.

Fish:
View attachment 248466 View attachment 248470
View attachment 248471
View attachment 248472

Rapids:
View attachment 248475
View attachment 248476 View attachment 248477
View attachment 248480

Scenery:
View attachment 248483
View attachment 248484
View attachment 248485
View attachment 248488

Good Times:
View attachment 248489

Peach
Looks like a great time!

Richard E

Fish:
View attachment 248466 View attachment 248470
View attachment 248471
View attachment 248472

Rapids:
View attachment 248475
View attachment 248476 View attachment 248477
View attachment 248480

Scenery:
View attachment 248483
View attachment 248484
View attachment 248485
View attachment 248488

Good Times:
View attachment 248489

Peach

Sounds like an epic trip! It appears your daughter had a great time, too! This report - I'm thinking my 16 year old daughter and I may need to do this...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts