Tiger 'skie tying discussion

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
yes.

I like it occasionally for use in the body, but I can never get it perfect on the heads to a point where my fly walks the dog. I can only get them to kick one way. It should be noted, however, that I've never used the Chocklett's body tubing, which is a bit stiffer than the other stuff you find.

Dr. Magill

Well I guess a one way kick is better than a NO way kick !!
I’m looking to try some for some heads . I’ll post what I find out. I’m going to try your rattle idea too. I’m thinking mid April for a three dayer at the big M lake. Too busy all of a sudden to get away down there.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
recently (the fly tying night) I tried out some strung fuzzy fiber for a couple of heads. I'll let you know how they swim. One one, which I didn't like the look of, I also added some Softex to shape the head a little bit and make it less unruly. haven't had a chance to swim that one yet either.

Dr. Magill

OK - not tying related but a legit question. When fishing solo from a small boat what is the preferred method of corralling the fish and releasing it? Landing net I assume?? What is a good option without breaking the bank??

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
large net for me. I found one at Sportsman's for about $90 (I think it's Gibbs), then promptly cut back the handle a little bit to make it more manageable on my Commander. It's rubber coated knotless nylon. I dunno the hoop size (but it's plenty big for everything--probably 3'), but it's also got a deep bag so they can just chill in there while I'm getting my tools together for hook removal (although fishing barbless, they'll often fall out themselves), or photo op.

Dr. Magill

thanks for the input
I had a bad dream of a big fish and no net
Lost my gear overboard while dicking around with the fish
Funny not funny ya know

Speyrod GB

I converted my old salmon/steelhead net. I took off the rod netted nylon bag and bought a rubber mesh muskie bag. The net has a sliding handle, which makes things more compact. When you begin fishing, I would suggest extending the net handle. Things can get a little chaotic when a fish is hooked. It's also a serious pain in the rump trying to extend the handle while fighting the fish. I speak from experience. Pulling an anchor can also add to the excitement. Just my .02.

You could also try a cradle. I'm not sure how that would work for a solo angler.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts