Tiger 'skie tying discussion

Mark Kadoshima

IMG_1419.jpg These are just as much fun as steelhead flies! Not really sure how to evaluate them in the water....but they cast, and they get wet.
How do you guys tie an 80 lb mono leader on? I've got to come up with a better way. I went with 5 feet of 80lb mono, then 14 inches of 25lb mono as a breakaway, then about 20 inches of 80lb mono again with the world's largest monoslip loop knot. Was I even close? I do need a breakaway section as a snag in a kayak can be a disaster.
My first outing turned into a fiasco....but learned a hard lesson.

PhilR

WFF Supporter
I tie a six or eight inch bite tippet on every fly, with a loop on the end. The end of my leader, also with a breaking section, has a big enough loop to loop on the fly.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Those'll fish.

If you're tying in the "breakaway" portion (I've since stopped adding it), tie it as short as you can, that way your turnover won't be affected as much. You don't have to be literally in the rocks or in the middle of the structure like you might with largemouth. If you do get hung up, stop strip setting, paddle to the opposite side of the stump and just pull your fly off. If it still won't come off, that's when you're screwed. Also, you only need about a foot of bite guard. Also, unless I'm using a floating line (almost never for me), my total leader length is only 4-5'.

I know @dustinchromers uses furled leaders, which will provide better turnover overall, and they might be a little longer.

SquatchinSince86

Any recommendations for "Fence rider" flies. You know, not too big for bass not too small for musky. Something I can toss with an 8wt.

I'll be heading to a lake that seems to have a sizable pop. of smaller tigers along with LMB and SMB.

I maybe over thinking this and just fish my larger bass flies. 1/0 or so

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Looks like WDFW planted the lakes recently.
Have you veterans of the TM game ever caught any of the little guys while fishing for the bubbas?
SF

3E9849CF-927D-4B02-A527-1A6C4A79CFE4.jpeg

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
smallest I've managed is a little 24"ish fish...never the tiny guys. I've honestly never seen any of the little critters in the lake.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
maybe they school up with the pikeminnow and suckers that they'll eat later.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you think any of the newly planted little guys get eaten by the big boys?
You might need to tie up some baby TM patterns. ;)
SF

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Do you think any of the newly planted little guys get eaten by the big boys?
You might need to tie up some baby TM patterns. ;)
SF
probably. Yesterday I did see several super fat big boys/girls hanging out right next to the boat dock. One in particular was absurdly rotund...of course, there are loads of suckers spawning in the shallows too.

dustinchromers

Those'll fish.

If you're tying in the "breakaway" portion (I've since stopped adding it), tie it as short as you can, that way your turnover won't be affected as much. You don't have to be literally in the rocks or in the middle of the structure like you might with largemouth. If you do get hung up, stop strip setting, paddle to the opposite side of the stump and just pull your fly off. If it still won't come off, that's when you're screwed. Also, you only need about a foot of bite guard. Also, unless I'm using a floating line (almost never for me), my total leader length is only 4-5'.

I know @dustinchromers uses furled leaders, which will provide better turnover overall, and they might be a little longer.

If you're not furling you're flying coach. A twenty or twenty five pound leader from the furled leader is my system. Always knot 2 kinky bite guard of about 8" in lighter weights. It doesn't dive the fly. A falling fly isn't musky seduction.

dustinchromers

View attachment 278270 These are just as much fun as steelhead flies! Not really sure how to evaluate them in the water....but they cast, and they get wet.
How do you guys tie an 80 lb mono leader on? I've got to come up with a better way. I went with 5 feet of 80lb mono, then 14 inches of 25lb mono as a breakaway, then about 20 inches of 80lb mono again with the world's largest monoslip loop knot. Was I even close? I do need a breakaway section as a snag in a kayak can be a disaster.
My first outing turned into a fiasco....but learned a hard lesson.

These look allot like the flies I fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts