Tiger 'skie tying discussion

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
oh man, I haven't really been musky fishin' for a while. Those snaps are Mustad Fastach Clips. I like them a lot. I've been going with size 3. Size 2's don't foul quite as often (not a super huge issue, but it pays to check periodically) but they're much harder to quickly change flies (which is the whole point). I'm going to try to get out there on Sunday, but we'll see. While they don't have any sort of swivel built in, I do like them better than any swivel I've found because they're not heavy enough to pull the head of the fly down. I've only put a couple of fish on them, so long term, I can't give an honest opinion on them. So until I start losing fish with them, I'm completely sold on them (how's that for a ringing half-assed endorsement!?)

Dr. Magill

I like it
Thank you and tight lines
I’m working on my game but right now in Arlington it’s coho and cutthroat
So far I’ve been doing poorly

Dr. Magill

@Clarkman
I see you changed your handle. Me too- went back to my original from years ago. Don’t know why I changed it to begin with.

Anyway- tying some stuff most of it sucks- I’ll post one soon but in the mean time I’m in the market for:
11wt rod for the big boys
Thinking the 400 grain line- not sure of the name - floating
Reel to go with the setup
Looking for around $600
Is this realistic?
Looking for all of your suggestions
I think my wife will hook me up at Christmas if I give her all the details
Thanks in advance
Dr. Magill

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Definitely possible to stay in that budget. I actually just grabbed a Whuff 11wt for $250. I'll use it for the first time this weekend. I'll post up a review once I put it through it's paces. Lots of midwest folks like them. Most rods that are available to stay within that budget are going to be made overseas. If you're going to go cheap, do it on the reel (I use everything from a direct from china special that cost me $45 to a way overkill Orvis Mirage) Spend the most on a line.

Speyrod GB

I was thinking an Echo Ion XL, however they only go up to a 10wt. That was my rod of choice and it served me quite well. It is listed as a fast action. Maybe the Echo Boost at $250. They go up to 12wt's. Just a thought.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I thought they were fine.. I like playing around with new types of setups. After playing around with that Ambush clear, I wish they made that in a fast sink (I ended up getting the clear for shallow stuff on Merwin). Mayfield is quite a bit different that Merwin, so it would make sense that they primary setups would be completely different.

Speyrod GB

I never used a sinking line at Mayfield. A floater, furled leader and wire bite leader. If I wanted it deeper, I just waited a bit. The flies sank fairly easily. I usually fished the flats and drop offs in the late spring thru early fall. I have never fished Merwin so I can't offer a comparison.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I never used a sinking line at Mayfield. A floater, furled leader and wire bite leader. If I wanted it deeper, I just waited a bit. The flies sank fairly easily. I usually fished the flats and drop offs in the late spring thru early fall. I have never fished Merwin so I can't offer a comparison.

straying a bit from the original topic, but I don't care...

I could see a floater being really useful on Mayfield. I've only fished it twice (once with Mike Sturza and once on my own) and there were many times where even my intermediate was sinking just too fast for certain retrieves.

I can't tell you how many fish I've gotten out of 20-30' of water in Merwin. It just doesn't have those shallow flats that Mayfield does (a few 10-15' flats that hold fish), but many of the fish are found on those deeper bits of structure and drop-offs, especially this time of year. Last trip out we spotted easily 20+ fish in the 15-25' range (water clarity was outrageous). Some were above structure in 30' of water but suspended in 15-20'. THAT was a weird day. We spotted loads of fish and couldn't manage to budge a single one....so it goes. All it takes is one.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts