Tiger 'skie tying discussion

dustinchromers

I was thinking an Echo Ion XL, however they only go up to a 10wt. That was my rod of choice and it served me quite well. It is listed as a fast action. Maybe the Echo Boost at $250. They go up to 12wt's. Just a thought.

Yes I reviewed a few of those. The xl is great for the money. The epr is absolutely money. The three rocks but demands a more technically correct stroke. All these things depend on line combo. I have some valuable Intel in that review.

dustinchromers

I never used a sinking line at Mayfield. A floater, furled leader and wire bite leader. If I wanted it deeper, I just waited a bit. The flies sank fairly easily. I usually fished the flats and drop offs in the late spring thru early fall. I have never fished Merwin so I can't offer a comparison.

I use an intermediate most times. I use a floater as well. I really like the fifteen foot clear intro tip as well. My flies are neutral bouyant so take that to account. I'm a furled guy as well. If I had to I could get it all done with a floater but I have a boat full of rods so I use them.

Dr. Magill

I’m curious
Do most of you like reverse tie or bulkhead style to add to the fly profile? I’m starting to think bulkhead works best for me
2.0 was a disaster
Tied the middle stacks reverse

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Pike minnow attempt:
The fish
View attachment 258909
The fly:
View attachment 258910
a work in progress
This fly looks very much like the one that I caught a pretty nice Tiger Musky on in July. (That seems like a long time ago now. ) I like the reverse tie ( hollow style) because it makes a really nice profile when wet and doesn't use a lot of material which makes it easier to cast. Using synthetic materials is also really advantageous because it sheds water more easily than natural stuff. Nice fly or "fleye" as Bob Popovics calls his.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I have re-read the entire discussion and just now, something popped into my head when the discussion went to the shallower flats. I know Mayfield has a lot of grass and reeds. Has anyone thought about tying a weed guard on the fly?

ptychocheilus

thank you - these are pretty fun to tie
The body looks great, but you might want to swim that before you tie a mess of them. I've been generally disappointed with that style of fly on muskies (stripers, on the other hand, seem to like more sleek and less push). Slim heads don't kick, they just track the leader with the tail billowing along behind. To be fair, I don't fish tigers often and they do seem to be a bit of a different beast. You might want to try tying the same fly up to the head, then something a bit bulkier -- think tying a loose (don't pack it tight!) muddler-style head, then don't trim (or barely trim) the free ends. Yes, it'll look ugly, but don't overdo the hair. It'll give you a large-circumference head that pushes water without a lot of bulk or weight, and will cause the fly to haphazardly veer off in random directions at the end of each strip. Adding the head on a short shank will give you even more kick.

SilverFly

So I'm wondering if the same patterns you guys fish in lakes would be appropriate for moving water. Thinking that it might be worth sacrificing some profile and or weighted to get a fly down if there was some current, but I have zero experience with pike of any kind.

The reason I ask is a buddy caught this last week when twitching jigs for coho.

20201101_105137.jpg

Probably a fluke but if he has buddies, and I saw one, I'd want something appropriate in my box. Tough fish, wonder if it went down the "waterslide" or survived the "Bass-O-Matic". ;)

BTW they weren't sure what to do with it since they aren't supposed to be below the dam, so they released it unharmed.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts