Any tri-cities Spey Casters have a Nextcast SF in a 400 or 425 gr?

cmann886

If anyone in the Tri-cites has a Nextcast SF in either a 400 or 425 and would be willing to meet me at the West Richland bridge or other nearby location and let me try your line on one of my rods for 20-30 minutes, please send me a PM. I would be happy to let you test drive the rod as well.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Something you might try, is to call Poppy at the Red Shed. He will let you test drive some Gaelforce lines, if that is something in your wheelhouse. He has other lines as well. All it will cost you is shipping to send it back.

cmann886

I have tried some GF lines from Poppy. He is a great guy and I love the GF lines that I have for some of my rods, but this one is for a 5 wt. and the length of line that I am interested in from GF are much too heavy.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I have tried some GF lines from Poppy. He is a great guy and I love the GF lines that I have for some of my rods, but this one is for a 5 wt. and the length of line that I am interested in from GF are much too heavy.
Are you looking in the 40’+ range? What rod?

I had Steve Godshall build a 414grn 34.4’ line for a 5wt. With leader and tipit it’s right at 48’.

Last edited:

cmann886

Are you looking in the 40’+ range? What rod?

I had Steve Godshall build a 414grn 34.4’ line for a 5wt. With leader and tipit it’s right at 48’.
The rod is a 13'1" ACR ELT blank that Steve Godshall custom built for me. I currently have a Ballistic Vector 350 gr. that it casts very nicely, but does not turn over a poly leader very well and struggles to turn over a size 8 bugger with a 4 mm tungsten bead.

I have a SG Scandi that was built for another rod in 388 gr. that is pretty nice, and a Steelhead Scandi in 350 gr. that is also pretty nice but not a perfect fit yet. The line that came with the rod is a iScandi @ 26.1 feet and will turn over a tip to 70 gr. It is a great line for the rod, but I had hoped to get something a little longer. The line that I tested with the rod before I decided to have it built was very similar to the Vector 350 at 41 feet. The rod casts this line 70-75 feet with hardly any effort but does not have the punch needed to fish one spot with the flies that I want to fish there. I would also like to get another 20' of distance if possible. It may not be possible for me to get the distance wow factor that I am looking for with this rod in a longer line that still has a strong enough tip to turn over the poly leader and size 8 bugger.

I can certainly go with a larger rod when I want to use a heavier fly or leader, but would like to more perfectly get this one dialed in and if possible, fish this size of fly on mono and others on poly leaders.

So at this point I am likely to do one of the following in no particular order:

1. A Next Cast SF in 400 gr. 30 ft ( I really like my other two SF, but I have a coastal in 425 gr. for another rod but it is clearly too heavy for this rod which is why I made this post)
2. A Rio Scandi 3D in a 390 gr. 31ft.
3. A Gaelforce Equalizer Switch 380 gr. 33 ft
4. A Ballistic Vector at 390 and getting it cut for tips and using the Gaelforce Poly Leaders (density compensated). I have cast the 390 on this rod and actually like it better for most things than the 350.
5. Having Steve build another line based on my likes and dislikes.

Seahawks

Had the rod , steelhead scandi 350 , 10 ft floating or Intermediate , add long piece of tippet , like 4 ft key , u will have Laser tight loops
31 ft head , distance wise it isn’t a bomber , but great dry fly rod , tight loops for sure

cmann886

When it cooled off last night I went to practice casting with exactly that set up as one of several options. It’s performance is exactly as you described.

Seahawks

Sweet
If I remember right rod has lots of soul , lots of feed back. Steve makes killer rods , truly custom and is also a great person

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts