Getting back into it. Upland bird

Replicant

My cousin from Colorado called me this morning out of the blue and invited me to go hunting in Kansas this fall. He and his buddy have trained up some young pointer's and hope to put in a full season. He also suggested that they would like to come up my way to hunt anything upland bird. I haven't been on a decent bird hunt in about ten years and that was down in Arizona chasing after quail with same cousin and buddy Steve. Other than one miserable game farm hunt, here in E. WA, I have been out of the loop. Any recommendations or even just an 'area'? WA, OR, ID, MT ? A guided hunt is fine but we are campers and cheap motel kind of guys, not looking for resorts or lodges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gt

when i was in school in Pullman in the 60s, we hunted the harvested wheat fields in the fall and winter. look for 'eye brows' where the rolling hills were too steep for planting. always held pheasant. and the snake river breaks always yielded valley quail and the tough to hunt chukars. don't know what access looks like today but maybe someone else can chime in.

Furled

Ruffed grouse is a good option. You can find them along most U.S. Forest Service Roads on either side of the Cascades. Look for stream corridors with a mix of conifers and aspens. If you see rosehips you'll know you are in the right spot. Just start walking the forest service roads. The grouse will come down on to the road to peck grit.

Whitewater

Get in your truck and drive east. When you get to Idaho look for broken rock slopes and cheat grass. Start hunting. Cheat grass = Chukars. Broken rock slopes = fewer hunters. Figure about 1000 ft elevation change per chukar and you'll be about right.

And PM sent.

Last edited:

Replicant

Hey all,
I really appreciate the responses. I should have mentioned that I wasn't trying to get your secret spot, just a broad general direction and type of game. But you delivered and I appreciate it. Thanks for the PM's too.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Ruffed grouse is a good option. You can find them along most U.S. Forest Service Roads on either side of the Cascades. Look for stream corridors with a mix of conifers and aspens. If you see rosehips you'll know you are in the right spot. Just start walking the forest service roads. The grouse will come down on to the road to peck grit.
Also, don't be shy about walking old logging spurs off the main roads. Higher elevations and ridge tops will hold Blue (Dusky) Grouse.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts