Potential WDFW Budget Cuts

Rob Allen

That's about the biggest myth there is. The truth is that you generally do less with less. The private sector cuts back or goes out of business. Government, for the most part, cannot go out of business.

Yes government can go out of business.

My recommendations

1. Eliminate the directors position and all the directors staff.
2. Eliminate the commission

3. Regional biologists make unilateral decisions for management.

This is where cuts should start.

Shad

Man, people love to hate on government. Surprised nobody's insulted Inslee yet, but I have full faith it's coming.

I give WDFW leadership a lot of guff, but this is one we can't pin on them. They will certainly ask for fee increases again, but there's no way in the world they'll be able to make up the deficit on fees alone. It WILL get ugly.

Programs will be cut, some front-line staff (all of whom deserve better) will lose their jobs, and all others will be furloughed heavily, so don't worry government-haters, you'll get that pint of blood you're after, plus a whole lot more.

Focus, people, and realize that COVID (and people behaving irresponsibly and spreading it) should be the focus of your ire. Believe me when I say even the government couldn't fuck things up this bad.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Every state and local government nationwide will be seeing a shortfall from projected revenues due to reduced economic activity and consumer uncertainty/ wariness caused by the covid situation, and our inability to control the spread.

If this comes as news to you, I don't know what to say...

Rob Allen

Man, people love to hate on government. Surprised nobody's insulted Inslee yet, but I have full faith it's coming.

I give WDFW leadership a lot of guff, but this is one we can't pin on them. They will certainly ask for fee increases again, but there's no way in the world they'll be able to make up the deficit on fees alone. It WILL get ugly.

Programs will be cut, some front-line staff (all of whom deserve better) will lose their jobs, and all others will be furloughed heavily, so don't worry government-haters, you'll get that pint of blood you're after, plus a whole lot more.

Focus, people, and realize that COVID (and people behaving irresponsibly and spreading it) should be the focus of your ire. Believe me when I say even the government couldn't fuck things up this bad.

It's not about hating government. It's about calling out a lack of leadership.
This needed to happen apart from any other issue.. government spends too much and accomplishes far to little for what we give them.

Charles Sullivan

This :mad:

Every (other?) year the voters have to fund a fire district levy to make up for that shortfall. And county-city administration never makes the job so unpalatable that LEOs retire or move to jurisdictions where they are appreciated so the positions left unfilled aren't reported as "cuts"?
Where are you talking about?
Go Sox,
cds

longputt

I told my self not to waste valuable oxygen on this thread but WDFW is on an impossible path. Susewind has said that he wants fishers and hunters to ignore that our opportunities have been reduced and enjoy that we have better "conservation." That paraphrases a quote by Susewind from the Spokesman Review...Really...
  • WDFW has no budget to effectively accomplish any meaningful conservation project. The WDFW budget is 2 or 3 orders of magnitude short of doing anything real.
  • WDFW is claiming warmwater fisheries as a resource that they had no role in, do not manage and want to exterminate. Bass week anyone?
  • WDFW has alienated hunters by destroying hunting opportunities to make knowingly no impact on salmon migration on the S rivers.
  • WDFW advocates for the removal of Snake River dams that will not improve spring chinook runs that have been identified as the most important to orcas. Grand Coulee and Hell's Canyon have the largest impact, by orders of magnitude, on spring salmon runs. Can we remove those dams?
  • WDFW ignores that there are more SSKW today than there were in 1970s to bilk taxpayers for funds...totally unethical.
  • Susewind absolutely ignores that his supervisors are the WA Game Commission...send me one video or recording where he acknowledges the existence WA Game Commission...the Game Commission are the fisher and hunter advocates.
  • WDFW has the sole, unethical, mission of securing funds from the general budget no matter what it means for hunters and fishers. Orcas are priority #1 because they lead to funds irrespective of the usefulness of the funds.
  • WDFW uses surveys that are totally unethical and force hunters and fishers to choose between how much we want something rather than if we even want it. The null decision never appears in the surveys. Go look at the UW BS website and look at a WDFW survey...Bingo!
  • WDFW banned fishing during Covid while other states seemingly had the budget and energy to prepare plans to allow fishing while minimizing exposure. WDFW published highly misleading low angle pictures to unethically show that fishing results in poor social distancing. I still do not understand the political benefit?
  • WDFW throws trivial amounts of funding into projects funded by the Federal government or the Tribes in order to claim credit for a project of which they have no input to mission or goals. (Chehalis Dam, Griz in N Cascades...ring a bell?)
  • WDFW, like many WA state organizations, choose to develop their own on-line interfaces rather than use proven commercial software. Hunter safety, licensing and boating safety (not to mention $650,000,000 losses in unemployment) result in enormous cost and very little security, some states do not recognize WA programs while simple programs are commercially available that are widely accepted.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Where are you talking about?
Go Sox,
cds
Pierce County voters have to help fund the county Fire Districts through an "Excess Property Tax Levy for Maintenance and Operation Expenses".

At the last State Fair a Deputy Sheriff told us that there were over 100 vacancies.

gt

cutting the budget should begin with vacuuming out the incompetence that has brought us to this point with uncontrolled stupid decisions regarding fishing. i stopped buying licenses and tags just to keep my few dollars from reaching this group of do nothings. unless the incompetence is removed, our fisheries will never stand even a shadow of a chance of recovery.

dustinchromers

Coronavirus caused this hole. Things were going well beforehand.

It's amazing to me that the ones who squeal the loudest about government waste also squeal the loudest when they dont get what they want from the government.

Yes, there's dysfunction, just like big corporations also have, but this hole was not caused by that.

You're on another planet if you haven't watched Washington State government live outside their means for a while now. Our governor will use this as justification for an income tax. I always hear ,"Washington doesn't have an income tax". Try owning a business. Washington definitely has an income tax. It's a tax on gross receipts as well not profit. This state is tax drunk and needs to go home. I get nothing and want nothing from state government. You could close it all down and my life wouldn't change much.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
Pierce County voters have to help fund the county Fire Districts through an "Excess Property Tax Levy for Maintenance and Operation Expenses".

At the last State Fair a Deputy Sheriff told us that there were over 100 vacancies.
There's going to be a pretty big pool of officers chasing those jobs from Seattle Police if these lunatics vote to defund on the 10th.

BriGuy

You're on another planet if you haven't watched Washington State government live outside their means for a while now. Our governor will use this as justification for an income tax. I always hear ,"Washington doesn't have an income tax". Try owning a business. Washington definitely has an income tax. It's a tax on gross receipts as well not profit. This state is tax drunk and needs to go home. I get nothing and want nothing from state government. You could close it all down and my life wouldn't change much.
Oh, I hear you and fully expect the income tax question to come up. Should it pass, we will likely have both an income tax AND a sales tax (albeit a lower one). The government doesn't give up on things that easily. ;)

If you want to change things, start with the agency execs, your legislators or the governor, probably in that order.

Please don't beat up on the state employees, including managers, because most are doing the best they can, care deeply about public service, and are already feeling the cuts personally.

dustinchromers

Oh, I hear you and fully expect the income tax question to come up. Should it pass, we will likely have both an income tax AND a sales tax (albeit a lower one). The government doesn't give up on things that easily. ;)

If you want to change things, start with the agency execs, your legislators or the governor, probably in that order.

Please don't beat up on the state employees, including managers, because most are doing the best they can, care deeply about public service, and are already feeling the cuts personally.

State employees are just that, employees. Leadership comes with it the burden of failure. That is the nature of leadership. There are few if any leaders in this state as far as government go. That's on both sides of the isle. I'll endorse a good idea no matter who births it. I will condemn a bad idea no matter who births it. We are I believe the most regressive or second just regressive tax state in the union. Which is crazy to me given all the political ads and individuals lately touting the term "progressive". Hypocrisy on high and in high places. Washington is doomed. I'm just kinda out here in my little outpost not really caring if it all falls apart. King county is getting what they voted for. I'm just bummed I have to ride it out with them. When do we get the pay per mile tax since those electric car deadbeats are getting away with highway robbery? Was the electric vehicle not encouraged by a climate conscious governor? We already have the second highest gas tax in the nation next to Hawaii being number one. When is enough enough? If you go down the self sufficient government loathing rabbit hole far enough you end up with some wild conclusions that the very nature of government is parasitic. You then start examining the feudal system and realizing things really haven't progressed beyond it. Then you can get really wild and see parallels like the only job of parasites and government are to replicate and grow themselves. Then after all of this you're online searching out the best tinfoil hats but it doesn't feel crazy. Which tinfoil breathes the best in the summer heat while still protecting me against the HARP array?

Last edited:

JayB

Small on-topic digression here back to one of my previous questions: Let's say these cuts go through, and the hatcheries are shut down indefinitely.

Is it safe to assume that fishing for anything other than SRC's and pinks is effectively over in the Snohomish system?

When and if the agency budgets rebound, is there any prospect for re-opening these hatchery programs, ever? When and if that were to happen, would it have to be a broodstock operation using the handful of wild fish that return? How could you manage that it a way that would segregate wild vs hatchery fish on the basis of run timing?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts