What's Up @ Rocky Ford?

jwg

Benadryl didn’t touch it, thus the drive in to Moses. Anti booties after 5 days brought the swelling down.
Or, the swelling came down in 5 days while you also happened to be taking anti booties.
A doctor friend of mine happens to make fun of me if I use topical antibiotics on a wilderness trip, insisting there are actually no studies to prove they make a difference.
But who would want to take a chance, not me. J

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Or, the swelling came down in 5 days while you also happened to be taking anti booties.
A doctor friend of mine happens to make fun of me if I use topical antibiotics on a wilderness trip, insisting there are actually no studies to prove they make a difference.
I way I was taking any chances, and infections happen from bug bites all the time. I’ll happily take my full dose of meds. My wife is a nurse and she thought it was a good idea as well.

jamma

About 50 years ago or so Me and my BIL went camping up close to the Shagit. I was sleeping in a mummy bag and only the one side of my face was showing out side of the bag. The mosquitoes had a field day on my face.. When I woke up the next day my face was swollen. And I was in pain from all those little blood suckers stings. I don't rightly remember what I used on those bites. But it took a few days for the swelling to go down.
Don't know if Shagit misspelling was deliberate or not but if it was, now that's funny. :D

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Don't know if Shagit misspelling was deliberate or not but if it was, now that's funny. :D
It was supposed to be Skagit. I went back and fixed it. Thank you. I usually read what I put down but once in a while something slips through.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Meta studies see a small benefit of topical antibiotic over placebo. However, part of the issue with controlled studies here is that they necessarily look at predictable wounds (i.e. surgical wounds) in well-controlled environments, with a placebo- typically petroleum jelly. Surgical wound infection is rare, since people tend to keep them clean, so it's hard to generate evaluable numbers for comparison. It's generally accepted, though, that keeping a wound moist with petroleum jelly (after cleaning and allowing some time for natural formation of clotting structures) helps healing, versus letting it dry out.
Given that, in the wilderness, if you're going to cover the wound with Vaseline, why not carry and use neosporin instead? No downside unless you're allergic to it.

Ok, that said...what IS going on with Rocky Ford?

PezVela

When we got a bunch of fish for Beda from Troutlodge, I talked to the guys at the hatchery about RF, and the lack of fish. They said the pelicans ate most of them last year. He also talked to the WDFW, and was told there was nothing that could be (legally) done about it. (protected bird?) I offered to give them a box or two of buck shot...

Last edited:

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
For those RF veterans, what was the pelican population like during its hey day?

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
When we got a bunch of fish for Beda from Troutlodge, I talked to the guys at the hatchery about RF, and the lack of fish. They said the pelicans ate most of them last year. He also talked to the WDFW, and was told there was nothing that could be (legally) done about it. (protected bird?) I offered to give them a box or two of buck shot...
I do believe they are putting in smaller fish which maybe increased the Pelicans take? Regardless I don't think the Pelicans are entirely to blame. The fishery changed when the hatchery changed ownership imho...

Buzzy

All I can remember is a few muskrats and a lot of goose shit.
you forgot ticks and rattlesnakes. Joking aside: this creek has changed a lot in the 30 + years I've lived in the Basin. As @Stonefish jokes, there's F-Troop's contribution - the number of anglers and their pressure, there's increased flows from changes with Crab Creek supplemental flows (a good thing?) and then there's the birds. 30 or 40 pelicans day in and day out? They ain't there to sunbathe. Tempting to say "ah, the good old days". ;-)

@b_illymac may well be onto changes due to a change in ownership of Trout Lodge.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I fished RF for 20 plus years, year round.
Winter and early spring was the best, sometimes 20 plus fish days, even when there we lots of other fishers.
No pelicans for many years in the spring and summers.
When the pelicans showed up the fish population dropped off big time.
In spring the turn over would get bad. I called it onion soup.
Then summer would roll around and the weeds would get thick and the fish would not be in the open.
The evening hatches could be awesome dry action in summer.
I will say I will miss fishing RF esp. in winter.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts