What's Up @ Rocky Ford?

Porter

C’mon. There’s no rattlesnakes at RFC is there? I thought they didn’t exist around most of that creek?

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
C’mon. There’s no rattlesnakes at RFC is there? I thought they didn’t exist around most of that creek?

If this isn't a joke, I should tell you about the rattlesnake I hooked on a scud there. I did it on purpose, because I was hunting them that day, because I wanted to eat one. I scouted throughout the day and didn't see anything, then one swims right across the creek at me. I casted and hooked it in the side of the mouth. I pulled it up and bonked it with a stick. I kept it hooked and walked toward my buddy with it laid over the side of the stick. As I walked closer, I lifted my rod tip a bit and made the head come up. Ha! The look on his face. It tasted fine, but the meat was thin and it was boney.

oregonedon

I have a house near Rocky Ford, and have been fishing it regularly since 1990. I last went down to the creek in July to check the spinner fall. Clouds of bugs from the handicapped dock all the way to the barbed wire, and no rising trout. I did see a dozen pellicans, a flock of cormorants, and even some terns. If the hatchery is truly stocking trout under three pounds, this is exactly the size range these birds target. I beileve the real canary in the coal mine is that these shore birds have moved inland due to "adverse ocean conditions". Since the pellicans moved in three or four years ago, the trout population has steadily declined to the point that R.F. is no longer a viable option in my opinion. Not the end of the world with vany other venues available at this time, but R.F. was always the one reliable fishery in the dead of winter. I'm going to miss it.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
My short time was due to coming back from Urgent care in Moses Lake to where we were staying at Park lake. Some nice hand swelling from some sort of infection.
View attachment 249196

Yikes! Ira, that look like a bee sting. If so, it will itch like the devil for days if you are allergic. Antihistamine helps.

Oops, just read through. Benadryl never helped me either.

Pheel

I fished it July 3rd and had one my best days in the last few years. However, there is definitely fewer and smaller fish in the creek.

You know you're having a good day when the pelicans are hanging around waiting to chase down your next hook-up. At that point, I think you should be allowed to take them out as self defense. ;)

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
On bee stings. I use some stuff I got at Walmart many years ago. A little dab on Mosquito bites and bee stings and you can forget about it. No more hurt. It is put out by Equate, it's active ingredient is Clotrimazole USP 1%, Antifungal Cream.

About 5 bucks a tube. It lasts a long time. But it's main purpose is Athlete's Foot. Don't knock it if you have never tried it.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
On bee stings. I use some stuff I got at Walmart many years ago. A little dab on Mosquito bites and bee stings and you can forget about it. No more hurt. It is put out by Equate, it's active ingredient is Clotrimazole USP 1%, Antifungal Cream.

About 5 bucks a tube. It lasts a long time. But it's main purpose is Athlete's Foot. Don't knock it if you have never tried it.

I use MSG - yeah the stuff one tenderizes meat with. Make it into a paste and apply. Sucks a lot of the bad stuff out.

Bones

Has anyone actually spoken to the local WDFW biologist? Would be interesting to hear their take in terms of fish management changes, if any, and predator population control, if any.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
For those RF veterans, what was the pelican population like during its hey day?
I fished it every few months from 1997 to last year. Never saw Pelicans in good old days. Many steelhead sized fish. Winter was my fav time. Way less aquatic growth to donate my scuds to. No longer fish it as my main reason to drive the pass was to see my handicapped, elderly cousin who passed last year

Phil Fravel

Friendly
For those RF veterans, what was the pelican population like during its hey day?
It was fantastic before pelicans. That said Last year was also fantastic. My son had a 30 fish day with some being over 25”. I quit the same day at 20. There are other years when it’s down, and you can have a 1 or 2 fish day

Attachments

• 1CD1803A-43AC-4C8C-A713-EC897F69AAF1.jpeg
    1CD1803A-43AC-4C8C-A713-EC897F69AAF1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • 6A58E82E-4B4E-4DE9-9F98-885EEF644F76.jpeg
    6A58E82E-4B4E-4DE9-9F98-885EEF644F76.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 95
  • C504D6F1-D276-48A0-A792-9EB1FF5B152E.jpeg
    C504D6F1-D276-48A0-A792-9EB1FF5B152E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • B8555D39-EC61-412C-BF10-62541E9315A8.jpeg
    B8555D39-EC61-412C-BF10-62541E9315A8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts