Golden Stoneflies

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Thx @Troutnut for your page to help figure out more about these when I got home yesterday. I find your site helpful. troutnut page The dave huges books are good to. We've had a lot of activity from these guys lately, although it seems to be winding down, I didn't find nearly as many this morning. Since I only am fishing in the mornings I have not seen or worried about the adults.
20200729_natural_small.jpg
immitations
20200729_stoneflys_small.jpg
habitat, flood control work in progress, fish don't care
20200729_Touchet_small.jpg
both imitation worked, however big fly = big fish
20200729_hairsear_small.jpg
20200729_patsrubberleggs_small.jpg

Mark Melton

There are three species likely here, Claassenia sabulosa, Hesperoperla pacifica and Calineuria californica. If you kept the specimen it can be narrowed down by checking to see if there are anal gills (small thread-like structures) at the base of each cerci (tail). If there are it is Claassenia sabulosa or Hesperoperla pacifica. If not it is Calineuria californica.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
There are three species likely here, Claassenia sabulosa, Hesperoperla pacifica and Calineuria californica. If you kept the specimen it can be narrowed down by checking to see if there are anal gills (small thread-like structures) at the base of each cerci (tail). If there are it is Claassenia sabulosa or Hesperoperla pacifica. If not it is Calineuria californica.

I didn't have my little container so I threw it in a calm pool where a little one ate it as it sank. Now that I'm more aware I will look closer while I got them in the water. Critters seem to change when removed from the water.
I've been using some pantyhose over my net to collect but I think I miss stuff. These just pushed around.

jamma

A quick look shows that H. Pacifica has gills at both tails and the base of the legs, C. California the base of the legs only, and the Skwala has no gills at the base of the legs.

Troutnut

I'm glad you guys find the site helpful for IDs. :) I'm hoping to improve that sometime soon and build some actual ID guides rather than just reference photos.

I just got back from a trip photographing about 50 late July / early August bugs from ID and MT, which helps fill in a gap in hatch timing in the western species on the site.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info