Why my bench is messy...

the_grube

Looking at pics of folks tying bench had me thinking. Some of them looked like Operating Rooms and others looked like a teenage boys bedroom.

Mine runs from one to the other extreme (although it never looks as good as some of those pics). Here's why; I start out with a plan "I'm going to tie up a bunch of steelhead hair wing patterns", for instance. I clean up the bench, put everything away where it belongs. Then I pull out the materials needed for the pattern(s) I'm tying. For the first half a dozen flies I'm convinced that I'm one of those neat and tidy people who are organized. Then a day or 2 later, I decide that I'm short on red fox squirrel nymphs, so I pull out the stuff for tying up a few of them and put them alongside the other materials...

You see where this is going. 2 or 3 more iterations and a large portion of my materials are lying on the desktop next to the vise, and my bench looks like an anti personel mine went off in a chicken coup.

All that said, I don't know that I'm going to change things up that much. I have a box full of sweet hair wings for this summer, and I was able to tie up a few trout patterns too. I'll probably clean my bench tonight, or maybe I'll pull out the stuff I need to tie up a few gnats...

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
I'm exactly the same way, I run down to the room to tie a handful of simple patterns because I have 20 minutes. It's chaos most of the time. Probably takes me 45 minutes to reorganize every couple months. Drives me crazy, but I guess it's how its gonna be.

Jim Darden

When the bench gets so cluttered you can't find the scissors you just layed down, it is time for a clean up to put everything away. I find that system works for me. At the end of the session I try to put everything away but (you have my sympathy) I don't always do it either.....

Dr. Magill

My bench gets messy. Not long ago I realized I was missing some tools. Weirdest thing. As I emptied the garbage at the side of the bench - on the floor - I found some dubbing, scissors, and some other stuff. Looks like I had been throwing away stuff due to my clutter. What did I do? I moved the garbage can - still have the clutter

the_grube

My bench gets messy. Not long ago I realized I was missing some tools. Weirdest thing. As I emptied the garbage at the side of the bench - on the floor - I found some dubbing, scissors, and some other stuff. Looks like I had been throwing away stuff due to my clutter. What did I do? I moved the garbage can - still have the clutter
You're post reminded me of something slightly off topic, but funny, trust me....

Used to work in construction back in the day. We were demolishing the guts of a building in Seattle and had one of those huge trash shoots from a window on like the 4th floor down to a dumpster on the street level -- the big tubes that look like a playground toy at McDonalds. Anyway, one of the people on the crew actually threw himself away. He was tossing a garbage can full of construction rubbish into the shoot, the end of a steel stud hanging out of the can hooked his coat, he dropped the whole can and it pulled him down the shoot... sort of like a water slide in hell or something. So we all had to go down and search through the trash for our buddy.

Good news is he wasn't seriously hurt, bumps, bruises and a few cuts. OK, back to the topic at hand...

Rogue Fanatic

On the scale of messy or neat, I skew toward the chaotic. So much so that I found a bag of green Umpqua hooks that I mislaid. And then I find another bag. And yet one more! Apparently my mind/ memory is part of this messy scheme since I keep buying things I think I need, forgetting that I already bought them.

Krusty

Outta Here
My huge L-shaped desk at work is messy, as is my den desk, as is my garage workbench, as are my two fly tying benches.

I find that the larger such work surfaces are, the bigger the mess, the longer it takes to get them into any sort of order, hence they tend to stay that way. I once had a garage bench that ran along one entire side of the garage, and it was a gargantuan mess; still have the same garage, but reducing the bench substantially resulted in something I can straighten out in a relatively short period of time.

If mess doesn't stress you, why worry about it?

As for me, I sorta know where things are, and that works for me. The only thing I'm kind of fussy about is getting tools back into the right drawers of my big tower tool cabinet (which is somewhat logically organized). Maybe that's because I got tired of buying tools I couldn't find (until shortly after the replacement was purchased).

Last edited:

Bob Newman

Krusty, the work desk thing is based on the volcano principle, what’s hot is on top and what isn’t isn’t. I had a co-worker ask about a project. From a pile about a foot high, I took a quick glance and found the document and handed it to them. They were impressed, I was surprised.

Now as to my garage workbench, don’t seem to spend enough time out there but I still can’t find a lot of stuff I know is out there.

Fly bench, well I tie too many flies each year, like 500 to 1000 dozen and have seemed to be able to live with about 1/8 of what Pat just showed. Facing some hand surgery, started to shape it up today. Didn’t realize how many materials, material samples and fly samples you can stack on a 30 by 40 inch space.

Camo Clad Warrior

For me it is the mood and type of tying I am doing.

If I am tying the "staples" in my box I generally will be neat and tidy. Only pull out the materials needed. Pre portion the materials and knock out as many as i need to.

Occasionally I grab a micro brew, turn the music to 11, and tie more "freestyle". I am only tying one or two of each pattern and I find I end up in a big mess at the end with materials all over the place.

I feel both forms of tying have their place and ultimately whatever makes you want to sit down and tie is the correct way no matter what your wife says.

CCW

P-FITZ98

Finding lots of stuff as I wade through the layers, like these mayfly nymph legs that caught my eye one day, so I tied some up. Curious to see how they hold up

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts