Damsel presentations

Tim Lockhart

Like our last visit to Chopaka? We couldn't buy a fish in the reeds, but you were smart and moved out into the open and started to hook up.
Did I walk across the lake on the backs of those damsels or was that you? I remember waves of the adults were blanketed across the surface they were so thick.

Rialto

I have store-bought foam damsels in my fly box that I rarely fish and the only time I hooked up was at Lenice. For me the key to fishing dries on stillwater is patience letting the fly sit for 2 to 3 minutes or longer before recasting. The below rainbow was caught within five feet of the reeds in water that was no more than thigh deep. I saw two fish swim by before the third one hit it.

2010-09-25 Lenice 20-inch Rainbow.jpg

girlfisher

Color of surroundings can not be overstated. Just want to add that different lakes have different strategies:
lake A - Black damsel with lantern green lateral lines with slow hand twist in 20+ feet of water with a deep six full sinking
lake B - Dark brown damsel with dark tail hand twist using a dry line "immediately" begin the hand twist
lake C - Blueish/Light Olive body with gray marabou tail fished from bottom of lake to top 2 feet with intermediate line
lake D - light tan/olive Ausie opossum body and tail fish right in the bottom with very little movement

I have tried various patterns with strike indicators with mixed reactions but will always listen to Chan and/or Rolley for better advice.

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Color of surroundings can not be overstated. Just want to add that different lakes have different strategies:
lake A - Black damsel with lantern green lateral lines with slow hand twist in 20+ feet of water with a deep six full sinking
lake B - Dark brown damsel with dark tail hand twist using a dry line "immediately" begin the hand twist
lake C - Blueish/Light Olive body with gray marabou tail fished from bottom of lake to top 2 feet with intermediate line
lake D - light tan/olive Ausie opossum body and tail fish right in the bottom with very little movement

I have tried various patterns with strike indicators with mixed reactions but will always listen Chan and/or Rolley for better advice.
Where can I find the letter labels for specific lakes?;)
Steve

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
This one looks simple and interesting for surface and subsurface.

jay
That fly will have your leader twisted after a few cast Hackle & wing bad news Michael Martin has a Damsel pattern that's very simple no hanger ups

Last edited:

surfnfish

Most effective tip for me was instead of casting to shore and retrieving back to the boat, parking in 3' of water and casting parallel to the shore, keeping the fly in the bite zone the entire way. A great test of nerve control watching a fat Cranebow in clear shallow water heading towards your fly, pushing a V wake with it's nose.

Wayne Kohan

fish-ician
This one looks simple and interesting for surface and subsurface.

jay
Jay, this is what I hooked my one fish up on Leech the last time I was there. I was up there last year and had no damsel pattern and another fisherman gave me a couple of these. I need to find some of that blue braid.

Reactions: jwg

bobl

Saturday July 25 was very slow there for almost everybody, including me. Caught 1 rainbow on an adult damsel and missed 3. Brookies were small and tough fishing for them also. People said the weekend before that was great.

jamma

Saturday July 25 was very slow there for almost everybody, including me. Caught 1 rainbow on an adult damsel and missed 3. Brookies were small and tough fishing for them also. People said the weekend before that was great.
Man, if fishing for brookies is tough, you know the action is slow. ;)

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
My favorite damsel nymph is the Borger damsel nymph pattern.

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Marabou Damsel Nymph

The following quotation and tying instructions given in the Blog below:

"There must be thousands of damsel nymph variants out there, but this one is in a league of its own. This pattern is designed by Gary Borger. It is by far the most succsesfull damsel nymph I have ever fished. The fly is almost magical in my opinion. Damsel nymphs are available to the fish all the time, but it is during hatches they are most effective. There is also something magical about peacock herl as a component. This fly swims and wiggles just like the natural."

http://bakslengen.wordpress.com/tag/borger/

An important difference between Gary's Patterns and others is the dark over light bicolor abdomen. Damsel nymphs are bicolor, dark over light as the following photos of naturals reveal.

The best damsel pattern I have is the Borger Braided Butt Damsel

Tying instructions are below:

Gary Borger » Braided Butt Damsel

Some tiers like Charlie Craven have used foam to modify the pattern to guarantee a floating fly.

https://charliesflyboxinc.com/portfolio-items/fly-box-template-137/

I mentioned this to Gary and he asked me whether the tiers had thought he had not considered foam. According to Gary, the trout can concentrate on the drowned damsels and the foam pattern cannot imitate drowned damsels because they always float.

So tie the standard pattern first and add a few foam ones if you want. Compare the Borger damsel with other damsel patterns and you will note how realistic the braided butt body looks compared to foam, dyed deer hair, or dubbed abdomen patterns. None of these can match the thin abdomen of the natural insect. The Borger damsel is the most effective of all damsel patterns.

And use a strong tippet. The vicious take can often break you off.

Another point is that the stage before the mature blue damsel is the brown teneral phase. You can use a brown color marker to match the mono to tie up a few teneral patterns. The brown teneral patterns will also match brown dragon flies.

Cortland braided mono comes in 30 and 50 lb strengths. Get the 50 if you can. You can use the braided mono for making braided loops and the 50 lb is stronger.

The video below shows how damsels are vulnerable when they are under the water and how they get trapped in the film. A foam damsel pattern can't get that trapped in the film appearance.

jamma

One thing that has frustrated me over the years is that I tye Shane Stalcup's version of the adult blue damsel and in the video, he uses damsel blue furry foam. I have searched for years and to date have not found anyone who manufactures it. Aaargh! :mad:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts