1rst Time Boondogging

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I have followed old man's advice to just go out and follow the "small blue lines".

As a result, i have found a few places that i could boondog. But until recently, i did not have restroom facilities or a table to accommodate dry camping.

Now i have a portable table to cook on and a toilet seat for a 5 gallon bucket.

Last year i found a c & r stream near the Little Naches, so after a 4 day stint at the Little Naches I set up camp near the C&R stream.

It was a great place to stay, very enjoyable and quiet, there was only one other camper there, a big trailer that looks like it had been there a while because it had a lot of stuff piled up around it. There was a burn ban in effect, but they arrived in a diesel truck full of fire wood and had camp fire sun night and mon morning.

As for the fishing, i was informed by campers leaving the meadow on Sunday afternoon that a 200 strong Church held a father son campout in the meadow. They were from Seattle and Spokane. The report was that the little creek had been "fished out".

Sure enough, in the two hours of daylight left on sunday produced only one fish, a fat 5 incher. It was like the fish were gone or simply put down by all the attention.

So, i decided to explore smaller streams in higher elevations the next day.

Creek 1 was too small and brushy to get a cast in higher up, so i tried driving to lower elevation in hopes it would open up a bit. WRONG - a few miles down the road had been completely washed out by the little stream. I had to turn around and drive and additional 20 miles to get to another forrest road loop in the mountains to reach another small creek.

Creek 2 - WRONG - About 4 miles before i arrived at second creek the road had been completely torn up by heavy equipment, effectively making the loop another big dead end. So i had to drive an additional 20 miles.

All was not lost. It was fun to explore the mountain gravel and dirt roads. Lots of dust and gorgeous views. Just before coming to the abrupt end of road on creek 1, i came across a herd of sheep and their guard dogs and Peruvian sheep mah. (Like a cowboy, but tending to sheep). Poor sheep where hurting. Thermometer on my work truck read air temp at 104 degrees. The sheep guardian spoke no english and i spoke no spanish, but we had a friendly exchange. He indicated he needed water, so i gave him the rest of the water in my 8 gallon blue water container. He used the white, square shaped Kirkland laundry detergent pails for his water. He had a medium size john deer tractor hooked to an approx 12 foot long shack that looks like it was built on a hay wagon.

At the end of the day i headed back towards my camp at Little Naches and fished a few new holes for excellent fishing. Had to bushwack to get to it, but no human footprints, only deer elk and bear tracks.

I will be trying more new places to boondog.

I will never assume forest service roads are passable, even though the map says it is a paved road or gravel road good enough for passenger cars. I will always be prepared to drive 4x farther than what i expect due to unexpected road failures.

IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

B

bennysbuddy

try over on the T- way river a bit upstream from where I saw you a few years ago

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
my next trip will be out of packwood at a small unnamed stream and a small no fee campground. I may hit it mid week for less fishing pressure and less competition for camping spot

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Nice trip! After a few times the true "adventures" will become fewer and farther between.

sroffe

My humble understand is:

I think this was meant to say "boon docking" Basically camping with out facilities. Those with campers call it dry camping. No hookups, self contained. Tent campers call it roughing it.

Boondogging is method of drift fishing for steelhead using a float to keep your offering moving down stream.

Boon is also a name of a friends dog.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I think this was meant to say "boon docking" Basically camping with out facilities. Those with campers call it dry camping. No hookups, self contained. Tent campers call it roughing it.

Correct.

Careful @Greg Price as the camping obsession can get out of control very fast and that tent can get bigger.

001(10).HEIC

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts