Suggestions for replacement on my water-killed Canon G9x

para_adams

I admit to being more focused on catching a cutthroat trout than protecting the point&shoot Canon G9x I carry in my upper vest pocket on the stream and lake. So now my Canon G9x is dead. I am an enthusiast photographer and own higher end DSLR gear but I also like to have a little camera that fits in my vest. What do you recommend? Anyone using a Canon G7xiii or G1xiii? Is there a Sony, Olympus, or other I should check out? Thanks, Ron

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi Ron,
I'm a fan of the Olympus TG series. I own the TG-4 and the TG-5. The latest model is the TG-6. Not only is the camera waterproof to 50ft, but it is also quite tough. And it shoots amazingly good closeups. It shoots in jpeg and/or raw if you want more options while processing the images. And the video is quite good as well. Most of the photos that I have posted this past year in my threads were shots with the TG-5. You can find it for sale in the $320 - $350 range.
Steve

cdnred

Hi Ron,
I'm a fan of the Olympus TG series. I own the TG-4 and the TG-5. The latest model is the TG-6. Not only is the camera waterproof to 50ft, but it is also quite tough. And it shoots amazingly good closeups. It shoots in jpeg and/or raw if you want more options while processing the images. And the video is quite good as well. Most of the photos that I have posted this past year in my threads were shots with the TG-5. You can find it for sale in the $320 - $350 range.
Steve
If I was in the market for another camera, I'd be looking this Olympus over very seriously. Hard to beat a camera that's waterproof to 50ft especially when you plan to use it while fishing. Seems to be rather compact making it easy to carry without bulging in your pockets. Looks like a super deal and the price is not out of this world either..

Edit: Plus there are a host of accessories that you can add to it if you wish. Read the reviews..

Last edited:

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
While I agree on the TG-4,5,6 series I went with an Olympus TG-870. It's a bit smaller, more of a shirt pocket camera than the bigger TG's. I believe that the TG-4,5,6 will shoot raw while the TG-870 is jpeg only. I don't like the controls on the 870 but then again I don't like the controls on most small cameras these days. For a waterproof camera IMO Olympus is the best.

Jack Devlin

You need a waterproof camera. Image quality is not the greatest but the camera won't get ruined. The problem with all the non waterproof point and shoots is that just a wet hand pressing the buttons will allow water into the camera. A drop of water on the telescopic lens is immediately carried into the camera upon closing. I think Fuji makes an inexpensive waterproof. The Olympus TG series are fine.and I have been using one for three years now after having ruined two point and shoots at $350 a piece.

para_adams

It sounds unanimous, a TG-5 or TG-6 is highly recommended. I've been reading about them today and admit that I'd never ever heard of them before yesterday, so many thanks for the input. It makes sense to get a camera that will survive wading too deep as I did in the St Joe, or any number of other ways I'd eventually kill off another nice Canon. And even as I get a little older I still enjoy snorkeling and body surfing when we sometimes visit Maui...the Olympus would be a fun gadet for those water trips. I'll mull things over a little more but I think the die is cast. Thanks!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
One other thing I really like is the WiFi feature on the camera. No cables needed to download your pictures. Easy and fast using their app.
Probably not unique now in many cameras but this is the first one I’ve owned with that feature and it works great.
SF

Speyrod GB

The only thing I don't really care for on my TG-6 is the lack of a lens cover. I usually have to wipe the lens, if I remember. Getting wet while wet wading seems to create some clarity issues with my pics. So far the thing has been bulletproof and waterproof. I really need to spend some more time learning all of the features.

tomL

Own this for over 15 years and it is still working. It is the vanguard of the optio W series.

Takes great pictures.

It is waterproof as well.

Tom

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
The only thing I don't really care for on my TG-6 is the lack of a lens cover. I usually have to wipe the lens, if I remember. Getting wet while wet wading seems to create some clarity issues with my pics. So far the thing has been bulletproof and waterproof. I really need to spend some more time learning all of the features.
There is a lens cover available for the TG series (see lens protector or lens barrier). But it is not cheap (especially for a chunk of plastic) at almost $50-$60.
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts