A Shot in the Dark Here

Albula

swollen member
I finally pretty much completed a boat rehab to turn my old crabbing boat into something I trust enough to venture forth and explore The Canal and look for SRC or resident salmon. I have never tried to fish for either one but since the fish I am used to chasing don't live around here and I am jonesing for time on the water I figured I would give it a go. I plan on launching at Salsbury Park on Monday, perhaps drop a couple crab traps, maybe take advantage of the negative tide to dig a clam or two and drift a few beaches to see if anyone is home. Should anyone be in the neighborhood and up for an adventure some company would be welcomed. While I don't know squat about catching these particular fish I first earned my captains license some 20 years ago in the keys and know my way around a boat. Lemme know if you have an interest.

Albula

swollen member
Nice idea to fix up the boat for local fishing. Wear a mask at Salsbury though.
Is it going to be that crowded even on a Monday? I could dump in up in Quilcene instead if it avoids the hordes at a ramp. Since I am starting from ground zero it makes no difference to me.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Based on the number of boats I have seen off beaches that are an easy shot from there all this week, my guess is Monday will be fairly busy.

I have caught lots of SRC from beaches very close to that launch. Lots of good water to explore. Also, remember that salmon is not open in MA 12 north of Ayock until 9/1 (except for Quilcine area). MA 9 is also closed for salmon north of the bridge to Foulweatheather until mid August.

Good luck. Have you figured out a rod holder solution yet? I have a few ideas based on responses to my boat thread but hoping I don’t have to drill holes in my boat. Maybe some type of marine worthy adhesive!

Last edited:

Albula

swollen member
Based on the number of boats I have seen off beaches that are an easy shot from there all this week, my guess is Monday will be fairly busy.

I have caught lots of SRC from beaches very close to that launch. Lots of good water to explore. Also, remember that salmon is not open in MA 12 north of Ayock until 9/1 (except for Quilcine area). MA 9 is also closed for salmon north of the bridge to Foulweatheather until mid August.

Good luck. Have you figured out a rod holder solution yet? I have a few ideas based on responses to my boat thread but hoping I don’t have to drill holes in my boat. Maybe some type of marine worthy adhesive!
I can now carry and store 4 rigged rods that are out of the way and it was done without drilling any holes in the boat, nor using any foul marine adhesive. Having done a number of mods on my flats skiffs I avoid those adhesives if at all possible. Easier to patch a small hole and make it disappear than deal with those adhesives if something needs to be moved for some reason. It would be really easy to rig your boat to carry 4 rods with no holes and no adhesives.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I can now carry and store 4 rigged rods that are out of the way and it was done without drilling any holes in the boat, nor using any foul marine adhesive. Having done a number of mods on my flats skiffs I avoid those adhesives if at all possible. Easier to patch a small hole and make it disappear than deal with those adhesives if something needs to be moved for some reason. It would be really easy to rig your boat to carry 4 rods with no holes and no adhesives.
Nice. I literally just saw the thread you started in the watercraft forum. Sorry about that, I don’t look at that sub forum a ton. I like that. It sparked an idea for a similar but slightly different solution. Let me try and pull it together and I’ll post it in that thread. Thanks again!

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I know nothing about SRC fishing but am an expert rope holder. If you need help in the latter category let me know.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts