High Lakes Cutthroat

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
A short hike to a high lake off the north cascades highway Friday. Lots of hikers but we were were the only anglers on this lake.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.34.08 AM.png

The native cutthroat were hanging off the brushy shores taking terrestrials blown into the water by the wind. Many many fish to hand on a #12 Black Pennell wet fly with a seals fur body on the dropper and an #12 Mallard and Claret wet fly with a seals fur body on the tail.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.35.53 AM.png
Am a big fan of dubbed seals fur bodies for wet flies. They get buggy when fished.
Wet flies.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Way cool Dave. Did you hike up with any type of flotation device? or just walking around the shoreline?
I use a wilderness lite float tube. Weighs 3.5 pounds and straps over my frame pack. A must for high lakes. Only 3 of the 35 high lakes I've visited in the past few years have been fishable from the shore. This picture was taken 7,000 feet up in north central washington.
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.52.41 PM.png

EBT

Dave, I love that lake. My daughter and I fished it last August, and she still talks about it today. Like you, we were the only ones there, besides hikers.

MDK

I seem to remember that a few years ago the NPS was wanting to kill all fish in North Cascades NP because they were not native. Did this not happen?

Trout Master

I seem to remember that a few years ago the NPS was wanting to kill all fish in North Cascades NP because they were not native. Did this not happen?
They weren’t going to kill they just stopped planting lakes that never had any native fish in them.

Steelhead ©

BECU Member
WFF Supporter
I use a wilderness lite float tube. Weighs 3.5 pounds and straps over my frame pack. A must for high lakes. Only 3 of the 35 high lakes I've visited in the past few years have been fishable from the shore. This picture was taken 7,000 feet up in north central washington.
View attachment 249518

I’ve missed the trail looking for that upper lake. It can be hard to find but definitely worth it!

MJBZ

Hi Dave! Big fan of your high lakes posts. I can recognize this one. Any chance you got a water temp reading? Was thinking of making the drive next week to fish this one.

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
The water was cool enough that the fish were active and there were even surface rises. We found the fish all around the lake. I brought a full sinking line but stayed with the intermediate because it was working well.

If it's really warm you can always fish the end where the inlet comes in. I'm sure that water is cold.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts