Some Myths about Catch and Release

CreekScrambler

Real tip: don't suggest people do things that aren't legal....
Yep. There’s a lot of nuance to WDFW regs.

The ‘20-‘21 regs state that it is unlawful to totally remove salmon, steelhead, or DV/bull trout from the water if they are unlawful to retain OR if they are to be released, with very few and specific exceptions. Dripping wet, out of the water? Still breakin’ da lawwww. The rest of the species don’t get the same protection, but that’s still the best practice.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium

The ‘20-‘21 regs state that it is unlawful to totally remove salmon, steelhead, or DV/bull trout from the water if they are unlawful to retain OR if they are to be released, with very few and specific exceptions. Dripping wet, out of the water? Still breakin’ da lawwww. The rest of the species don’t get the same protection, but that’s still the best practice.
Which cracks me up because that insinuates it would be OK to hold the fish straight vertical with only the tail in the water...

CreekScrambler

Which cracks me up because that insinuates it would be OK to hold the fish straight vertical with only the tail in the water...
That is pretty much how the ‘correct’ method of dehooking a salmon is depicted in the reg booklet. I’ve never really done salmon fishing from a boat.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Premium
Thanks fo

Thanks for clarifying. I was referring to trout and this is the wrong thread for that!!!

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Premium
Take a look at CreekScramblers post above - he spells out the current regs regarding taking fish out of the water.
Thanks, saw that. Let me clarify...I don't ever lift the fish. If I take a picture at all, the fish is in the net. Have yall been on Instagram lately? Because that's what I'm bitching about.

wetline dave

I am a firm believer of catch and release and keeping fish totally in the water. But even at that there can be mortality as that is the nature of things. That is why I am really against big numbers of fish caught days that some so proudly brag about. A certain percentage is going to die even if there is nothing apparent to cause death. Just because a fish swims away does not mean it is going to live.
Oxygen deprivation, exhaustion or maybe bleeding are all possible causes and other things too. A weakened fish is more likely to be attacked by a predator.

Case in point, more than a few times I have released a non bleeding, quickly played and released fish just to see it floating belly up 5 minutes later. And not all fish will float to the top when they die.

So I am asking people to limit their catch and realize big number days are hurting the resource. You want quality fish then fish in a way for that to occur. If you are killing 10 percent, just a number, that means 3 fish killed on a 30 fish day. Most fisheries with big fish do not have big numbers of big fish as there are limited food supplies and the bigger the fish the more food they eat, hence less fish numbers.

Dave

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Thanks, saw that. Let me clarify...I don't ever lift the fish. If I take a picture at all, the fish is in the net. Have yall been on Instagram lately? Because that's what I'm bitching about.
Are there a lot of people on Instagram lifting fish out of the water, and that's what you're bitching about?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info