Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

It's backpacking season

5K views 108 replies 36 participants last post by  dekartes 
#1 ·
It's been pretty hot down in the valleys so time to head for the high country. Anyone else been getting out?

I leave next Monday for a week long, 50 miler. Getting stoked.

See less See more
#45 ·
My only thing with foods like these you are talking about was U.S. Army "C" rations. And they were gross as it was called food. The crackers in those rations would crack a tooth if you didn't soften it up first. The Chocolate bar was a might hard. The spaghetti in a can wasn't too bad. The meat patties were extra gross. Yes, there wasn't much to like in "C" rations. Some of those we got to crack into had Cigarettes in them. The Lucky Strikes had a green circle instead of the red one.

They were old to say the least. I was in the Army from 53 to 56.

G
#48 ·
My only thing with foods like these you are talking about was U.S. Army "C" rations. And they were gross as it was called food. The crackers in those rations would crack a tooth if you didn't soften it up first. The Chocolate bar was a might hard. The spaghetti in a can wasn't too bad. The meat patties were extra gross. Yes, there wasn't much to like in "C" rations. Some of those we got to crack into had Cigarettes in them. The Lucky Strikes had a green circle instead of the red one.

They were old to say the least. was in the Army from 53 to 56.
Thank you for your service

#54 ·
C-rats were developed in 1938 and replaced in 1958 with the Meal Combat Individual (MCI). They were finally pulled from inventory in 1980(!). Yum...

#55 ·
Thanks for your freeze dried comments but I just don't smoke them anymore. I'm 69 and still get out there but my taste has changed. My last long trip was nine days in the N Cascades starting out above Roslyn and taking out at Snoqualmie. My partner smothered himself in MH spaghetti and beef stroganoff while I dined on succulent Knorr pasta and rice dishes washed down with some fine Akvavit. No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze.

Why won't my pics load??

#56 ·
My partner smothered himself in MH spaghetti and beef stroganoff while I dined on succulent Knorr pasta and rice dishes
I also do the supermarket - freezer bag cooking backcountry menu thing. What do you use for protein (meat)?

#60 ·
Uh oh. This is going to turn into a gear string! I think a bunch of us are gear hoarders! Lightening the load is no joke as you get older (plus just makes it more fun for anyone). It's essential for me to keep doing what I like to do. There is no way I could carry the loads I did in my 20's. Thank God I don't need to. I love to have a range of gear to go to nearly any weight range, depending on where I am going. Yeah - those in-line water filters are cool.

#67 ·
I bought a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator three years ago. Now I make my regular meals x2, then run half of it through the food processor and the dehydrator. Never had to buy another packaged freeze dried or dehyrated meal. Easy, certainly cheaper, and spiced to your own palate. (though I will admit, it doesn't do deserts as well as the packaged ones).
and you certainly can't go wrong with the Sawyer mini for water on the trail and in the camp!

#74 · (Edited)
Late last month a guy near Choteau ran into a grizzly and got mauled. Montana FWP issued a statement on FB that included the following public service announcement:

"All people in grizzly bear country should...avoid surprising grizzly bears at close range." (Underlining added by me)

Seems a tad obvious.

That said, as a forum member who enjoys your backpacking trip reports, I guess it merits saying: Swimmy, on your upcoming trip, pls avoid surprising grizzly bears at close range. A grizzly encounter could result in an unacceptable delay in your trip report.

#81 ·
Got out today to warm up for my big trip next week.

Totonka!

My hike would take me to a lake near the base of the far peak in the photo.

The trail followed a series of creeks pretty much the entire way. I love hiking next to moving water.

As I got closer to the lake, things started to open up.

Made it!

For a rescue mutt with a funny body, this little guy has turned out to be a solid hiking partner.

16 miles, 2700' of elevation gain, 6 hours car to car.

Living the good life.

#86 ·
Let's see, three days backpacking on the north coast, then three days in the high country of ONP, then four days up the Hoh River, and just got back from a quick overnighter up the North Fork of the Skokomish. Got a four day trip on the High Divide coming up starting 8/16, then a six day trip in the high country of the upper Duckabush and Quinault. Then we'll see what September brings.

We love being retired!

#92 ·
What hiking shoes / hiking boots are people rolling in this summer? I have done zero multi day trips this summer, so the heavy duty Zamberlans are getting no love. I am wearing Sportivas for day hikes. I like them a lot. They would be perfect for me if the toe box were just wider. I wear a 45.5 for length but at that size the toe box seems narrow.

#94 ·
Vasques are nice! I Had a pair of Vasque Sundowners that I wore backpacking, trekking, and hiking all over the world. They were so comfortable, weight was light but they still had enough structure for multi-day on high mountain granite with heavy packs - they were just straight cash money.

Bonus: maybe it was the red laces, but for whatever reason chicks dug them too.

I switched to Zamberlans some time ago partly on an impulse and partly because the shop i liked didn’t have Sundowner in my size. Fail IMO. The Zamberlans are heavier, more structure, super sturdy boot, and the soles have been bullet proof....but they just don’t have the magic. Chicks don’t dig them either. Maybe it’s me. Nah. It’s the boots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.