IMHO - there is a problem with WFF

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
i think calling it out 1-1, gently and respectively, with a little rational explanation, has a meaningful real world impact. i know of at least 3 regular posters who really fish a lot on here who initially gave info in their reports which exposed sensitive streams, but when i (and/or others) pm'd them it made total sense to them and they welcomed the input. they fish and report a lot in season but don't hotspot and i think the credit goes to discreet, friendly input from people who love the resource as they do.

i think you get a little different result when someone is already looking for a fight and trying to provoke someone to throw the first punch. mr. goddamnit felt like one of those to me.

i feel like a broken record here, but i dont really care what you think of my tact and i dont plan on changing. you do you, ill do me.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
i think calling it out 1-1, gently and respectively, with a little rational explanation, has a meaningful real world impact. i know of at least 3 regular posters who really fish a lot on here who initially gave info in their reports which exposed sensitive streams, but when i (and/or others) pm'd them it made total sense to them and they welcomed the input. they fish and report a lot in season but don't hotspot and i think the credit goes to discreet, friendly input from people who love the resource as they do.

i think you get a little different result when someone is already looking for a fight and trying to provoke someone to throw the first punch. mr. goddamnit felt like one of those to me.

I agree with you about the 1-1 gently and respectfully private communication.

If that does not work maybe one of the MODs would do it for you. They did on the one that is related to thread...

IMHO Dustin needs to up his game and approach of a hot spotting sheriff. He is his own worst enemy. On the thread about LSR and on the A river he could not stop posting. Each time a thread is posted on it goes to the top of "New Posts". By bringing/highlighting the issue with so many posts it just focuses other members/non-members on the river in question. Just let it scroll off the front page as fast as possible so fewer will see it. #LastWordItis and #LastPostItis is not a good thing when trying to draw minimal attention. In addition, I learned a lot more from Dustin about LSR than the OP TR ever conveyed. If trying to protect a sensitive water why keep the conversation going and making it more enticing with more info?

@Dustin Bise , you be you. Maybe just be smarter in your approach so that you are actually accomplishing your goal...

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
I agree with you about the 1-1 gently and respectfully private communication.

If that does not work maybe one of the MODs would do it for you. They did on the one that is related to thread...

IMHO Dustin needs to up his game and approach of a hot spotting sheriff. He is his own worst enemy. On the thread about LSR and on the A river he could not stop posting. Each time a thread is posted on it goes to the top of "New Posts". By bringing/highlighting the issue with so many posts it just focuses other members/non-members on the river in question. Just let it scroll off the front page as fast as possible so fewer will see it. #LastWordItis and #LastPostItis is not a good thing when trying to draw minimal attention. In addition, I learned a lot more from Dustin about LSR than the OP TR ever conveyed. If trying to protect a sensitive water why keep the conversation going and making it more enticing with more info?

@Dustin Bise , you be you. Maybe just be smarter in your approach so that you are actually accomplishing your goal...

it doesnt matter how many replies to a thread. once its posted the potential dmg is done. google archives it forever the same if it has 0 replies or 1000. thanks for your opinion but it aint gonna happen. and telling me what to do, when you actually have no idea what i do outside of a few internet posts, is stupid. i get it, you dont like my approach. now its time for you to get it, i dont care what you think of me or what i do.

like i said, the hot spot sheriff thing is little more then a running joke to me. feel free to ignore me if you dont want to keep reading what i say.

dflett68

WFF Supporter
i feel like a broken record here, but i dont really care what you think of my tact and i dont plan on changing. you do you, ill do me.

oh you thought my post was about you. not at all. i was responding to your statement that calling out hotspotting here doesn't help.

i was describing what worked for me. i know i helped the streams i care about because i know who i spoke to and i saw the behavior change and remain changed. that's an observable result.

i actually like the salty grump of many folks here and i could not care less for your sake if you are tactful or not. at the end of the day, it is the effect that matters, and you're right - the effect of your approach doesn't help the resource one bit. it hardens the attitude of the people you confront, and hotspots the hotspotters - drawing even more supposedly unwanted attention. it objectifies the resource to the satisfaction you get from being emotional and confrontational.

dflett68

WFF Supporter
it doesnt matter how many replies to a thread. once its posted the potential dmg is done. google archives it forever the same if it has 0 replies or 1000.
so if you're googling for a place to eat, and you see 1 with a thousand reviews, and 1 with just a listing and no reviews - you're clicking on the latter? some guy gets a bunch of wff threads in their search results looking for a good place, he's not clicking on the thread with no replies when there's one right next to it with 1,000. besides, most people harvesting a hot spot on wff are lurkers - not googlers. they're scoping the threads getting action. you can't avoid the logic dustin, you're multiplying the unwanted attention to the resource.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
it doesnt matter how many replies to a thread. once its posted the potential dmg is done. google archives it forever the same if it has 0 replies or 1000. thanks for your opinion but it aint gonna happen. and telling me what to do, when you actually have no idea what i do outside of a few internet posts, is stupid. i get it, you dont like my approach. now its time for you to get it, i dont care what you think of me or what i do.

like i said, the hot spot sheriff thing is little more then a running joke to me. feel free to ignore me if you dont want to keep reading what i say.
Methinks you doth protest too much in how often you say you don’t care what others think.

You might get your point across better if you did change your tact. it WAS funny at first And I don’t necessaily disagree with what your mission is, but the way you carry it out is so arrogant and at times disrespectful of others here. That kind of approach usually falls on deaf ears or makes someone want to do the opposite, so your mission will likely fail.

IMO, there is not much wrong with this forum with the exception of a couple of self anointed despots like yourself who make it not so fun.

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
this is my last post in this thread. its just the same shit on repeat at this point. feel free to keep telling me about my mission, goals, and approach. ill be sure to listen with an open mind.... all this moaning does is make me more likely to continue with the joke. its amazing how something so trivial gets everyone so riled up and righteous.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts