NFR Does this Sprinter Van make my trust fund look big?

Cougar Zeke

I think a long winter in a small Montana town will clear the jet setters out pretty quick. When I visit relatives in North Dakota and Minnesota in August, I am well aware of the sheer fucking pain of the weather from December to March and how much it truly sucks.

Sprinter vans are awesome! The 4WD diesel version is in my future!

Penobscot

I can think of three towns in Oregon that a person could move to now that will be tourist/recreational meccas in 20 years.
May be time to shop for land.

brmtn

... streaming ... ...
It's not just Bozeman; it's the entire West. I grew up in CO and have lived in AZ, NM, OR, CA, MT, WY... folks were complaining about the CA influx in CO since the 80s (maybe before)... And it's real. Cash out, find a cool town, move to it. I could add that many then expect their newfound home to be like wherever they came from, and this is the kind of action that leads to post like the one that started this thread. We left the West (Oregon) 3 years ago in large part because it had changed so much and we didn't have 1/2 million for a modest house. My folks sold their house they'd had for decades in Bozeman about two years ago, in a day... To a Simms exec. The Bozeman they loved was/is gone. It is a new place now, loved by the crowd so well described In the OP.

And, who can blame folks for wanting to experience these places?; the American West is gorgeous. Every outdoorsy catalog, magazine, website, blog, you name it is full of photos of beautiful places all over the West. Everything is Epic. Any young person with an interest in the outdoors is sold The West and many move there to experience it. Many have dreamed about moving there for their entire careers and finally make it happen when they retire.

It's heartbreaking to lose a place you love, but that's part of today's America.

We're now in my family's 1800s farmstead in our rural, one-stoplight cow county full of hillbillies and rednecks (there's a difference) and there is still a mild hipster influx. But at least we can afford to live here for the time being.

My inlaws retired last year and bought a converted sprinter... I don't think it's very fun to drive.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Being from a burned out logging town it's easy to see that a tree faller doesn't want to get someone their coffee or guide an interpretive flora hike.

That's what makes me nervous. Trip and I are moving our daughter to Bozeman....not looking forward to the welcome.

I'd be really surprised if you don't find the nicest people you've ever met

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
When I used to go there 30 years ago, my friends told me the same thing...exactly the same thing...and when they moved there in 1970, they were assured by the old timers they were 20 years too late.

It's called perspective...

I was introduced to MT - Missoula specifically - when Reserve Street had more puddles and deep chuck holes that an actual street. One way in some (most?) places.

A lot of what I read here reminds me of the 80's and early 90's when all the 'Californians' came to MT in hoards and bought up everything. Property prices sky-rocketed causing locals not be able to pay property taxes. Large ranches/parcels were broken up, conservation easements created, access became very limited to many rivers because the new people used their rights under Montana law to prevent access to the water.

I would actually prefer these Sprinter vans than all the property sales back in the day. Less long term impact to the locals because they can come and leave so easily now...

bpatton

Kicked
For a while I thought Bozeman was real judgmental because everytim I went into a brewery they would keep track of how many beers I had. Yeah its noon, yeah Ive had 3 pints, so what?

And Sprinters are so cliche.

gt

a good friend had been fishing Nelson's, S of Livingston, for about 30 years, every year, same week. he was informed that he could no longer fish there unless he stayed at their facility and hired one of their guides. so there you go, the spread of stupid even has hit one of the spring creeks in MT. take up playing qwirkle, and forget about the fishing.

DerekWhipple

I think a long winter in a small Montana town will clear the jet setters out pretty quick. When I visit relatives in North Dakota and Minnesota in August, I am well aware of the sheer fucking pain of the weather from December to March and how much it truly sucks.

They still keep the property, it either sits empty most of the time, or they airbnb it. I guess the upside is you don't see them all year, the downside is it makes it difficult to impossible for someone with a real job in town to buy or rent.

O' Clarkii Stomias

a good friend had been fishing Nelson's, S of Livingston, for about 30 years, every year, same week. he was informed that he could no longer fish there unless he stayed at their facility and hired one of their guides. so there you go, the spread of stupid even has hit one of the spring creeks in MT. take up playing qwirkle, and forget about the fishing.

Hem

I'd be really surprised if you don't find the nicest people you've ever met
What Swim says. All said, folks are generally friendly...except the New York/ Long Island princesses.haha
Judging from prior posts by Trip you guys will fit right in.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts