Need advice on rod choice

johnhornby

Hello, I am looking to add a 3 weight rod to my arsenal for fishing small creeks in Wyoming. I have a 6-1/2 foot ShuFly 3 weight which is just too short. I am pretty sure I need something 8-9 feet long. I don't want to pay over $150, and preferably much less, and am willing to consider a used rod. I have been looking at one of these: https://www.bigyflyco.com/zdffr-2-detail.htm in a 3 weight which I know I can get elsewhere for $150 new. I have a 4 and 5 weight Nano and I like them a lot.

I'm no beginner fisherman. Have been fly fishing trout since 1965, but I have never been a big equipment person... which is why I am asking for advice. I might add a 3 weight Euro rod at some point, even the Nano series one, but the general purpose fly rod for mostly dry flies and so on is first priority.

I appreciate any advice. Please, no direct offers, just advice on what brand/models would be awesome!

Cheers!

John Hornby

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I use a TFO Finesse rod that is 7'9" and is a 3wt. I fish the hell out of this rod in the summertime. But it is probably out of your price range. I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago and paid $179.00 for it new. The price has probably gone up by now. I only fish small skinny water with it.

They are now priced at $229.95

Last edited:

IHFISH

WFF Supporter
I have really enjoyed my Echo Carbon XL 376. A few inches under and few dollars over your preferred price range, but not by much.

johnhornby

I forgot to mention I want a soft to moderate action. Most of the casts will be very short, like no more than 15-25 feet.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I bought a glass rod (Echo River Glass) last year that I have really enjoyed fishing. Might want to consider something like that. Otherwise, stonefish nailed it with the classic trout recommendation in that price range for that application.

johnhornby

Dustin, yep, I've heard of Tenkara, but not going there (yet). I think if I do that it would be to take along on certain high altitude backpacking trips where weight and bulk are central. Thanks for the idea. It's all fishing!

johnhornby

All, thanks so much for all your advice. I am going to look at all of the suggestions and go with something soon. These creeks I am going on have mostly 12-15 inch trout, with a fair number 16-19, even 20, but what I'm seeing is I need a delicate cast to drop the flies where I need to, and enough backbone in the rod to keep them from diving under the banks. That means 4x tippet in my experience (learned the hard way of course.) I need all the help I can get as I bumble my way up the river. Cheers!

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I fish 8.5' - 9' rods, even for small creeks. Very useful. Use them more than the 7'. Decided I probably don't need a 10.5' euro rod. I like my 4 or 6wt so I can get those fish out and can get them in quickly. I don't have any brand advise but I like softer rods than the fast action. Better for all the different types of casts you may make in the course of a day in my opinion.

Reactions: Zak

Poff

WFF Supporter
I’d encourage you to check out the rods from Echo. You get a lot of rod for the money. Don’t be afraid of the Echo Base just because of its price. It’s a solid rod. Here an article from last year talking about the 6wt.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Several years back I bought a Redington Classic Trout 3wt (8’) 6 piece purely because of the positive reviews here and because they were on close out. Boy, that rod fights way above it’s weight, on a cost per smile basis. I personally like it with a DT 4, but it casts as well as other rods costing much much more. I believe they started making them again. I’d guess the 2 or 4 piece rods cast even better but I was thinking of slipping it into a day pack. Worth looking for.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Redington CT
Echo Carbon XL
TFO Finesse

I have owned at least one of each and they're all great. The longer Redington CT rods are a bit tip heavy though, so I wouldn't recommend pairing one with a super light reel. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Echo Carbon XL; Tim Rajeff knows how to make a rod and charges a lot less than he should.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts