Does boat registration transfer?

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
This is just hypothetical at the moment, but I absolutely cannot find the answer to this question online.

Say I purchase a used boat from a private owner, which has current registration stickers good thru June 2021:

I know I have to transfer the title.
Do I also have to pay registration on it again for the current year (i.e. "use tax") or is the registration good until next June?

Hendodesign

While I haven't sold a boat I have done two vehicles in the last year and I can safely assume that DOL with hit you with both the tax on the title transfer and a new registration so it's in your name.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
While I haven't sold a boat I have done two vehicles in the last year and I can safely assume that DOL with hit you with both the tax on the title transfer and a new registration so it's in your name.
Yeah, I know cars work like that, but it's common for boat listings to say something like "tags good thru 2021." Thought perhaps I was missing something.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’m not sure of the answer but just have to ask.
What type of boat are you buying? ;)
SF

Buzzy

@Northern - The following is from WA DOL "blog" and I think the last sentence applies. Hard to imagine with a title transfer the State isn't going to go for a second bite at your wallet.

"If your registration is expired:

• You can renew online for the current registration year only (before June 30).
  • You can renew online for the coming registration year only after you’ve renewed for the current year.
  • If you have not registered for the current year and wish to renew for the coming year, visit a vehicle/vessel licensing office after July 1.
If you are purchasing a boat or bringing one in from out of state, you must register it within 15 days."

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
@Northern - The following is from WA DOL "blog" and I think the last sentence applies. Hard to imagine with a title transfer the State isn't going to go for a second bite at your wallet.

"If your registration is expired:

• You can renew online for the current registration year only (before June 30).
  • You can renew online for the coming registration year only after you’ve renewed for the current year.
  • If you have not registered for the current year and wish to renew for the coming year, visit a vehicle/vessel licensing office after July 1.
If you are purchasing a boat or bringing one in from out of state, you must register it within 15 days."
It's a good assumption, I agree! I just can't find anything explicitly addressing an already-registered boat.
Was hoping someone who'd recently bought one knew for sure.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I’m not sure of the answer but just have to ask.
What type of boat are you buying? ;)
SF
Haha - Just shopping around. I can't decide what I want! Something 16ft-ish for lakes and protected salt bays. I like the layout, unsinkability, and low maintenance of a whaler type, but I also like the beachability of aluminum...analysis paralysis, I'm afraid.
The only thing I'm certain about is a console. I truly hate driving tiller boats.

ffb

I recently went through this. The boat kept the same registration number and expiration tag, but I did have to pay a sales/use tax based on what I paid for the boat. I don't remember if there was a separate registration fee since the registration kept the same expiration. The trailer was more like a vehicle, sales/use tax plus new plate and tabs with associated registration fees, even though the previous owner had recently renewed.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I recently went through this. The boat kept the same registration number and expiration tag, but I did have to pay a sales/use tax based on what I paid for the boat. I don't remember if there was a separate registration fee since the registration kept the same expiration. The trailer was more like a vehicle, sales/use tax plus new plate and tabs with associated registration fees, even though the previous owner had recently renewed.
Thanks!
Exactly what I was looking for.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts