PSA: Buffs are OUT in Idaho

SpudFly

Should be fishing
There's a pretty high level of smugness, self satisfaction and know-it-all-ness as well as self-righteousness in this thread. There are at least two sides to this COVID stuff and room for many reasonable positions. Not a single early prediction of disaster, of millions dead etc., has turned out to be true. Some might say that's because we reacted but the Swedes for example did not and their overall experience has not been bad. It is not stupid to be skeptical especially of the pronouncements of politicians and especially when the forecast track record has been so poor. Most people emphasizing masks place 100% of their emphasis on avoiding ANY casualties to COVID - effectively a zero risk posture. Nothing in life is zero risk and there is no credible reason or moral imperative to take that position now. The response to COVID has, for all practical purposes, created unemployment and dislocation far worse than the Great Depression. We are, without hyperbole, in danger of destroying the middle and working class for 10-20 years with the economic consequences of the lockdown. At roughly age 70, I'd rather see my life risked and preserve the middle class. OTOH, there is no excuse for pure rudeness and incivility. I have homes in SE Idaho and W WA. I've experienced just as much, IF NOT MORE, rudeness, hypocrisy, & idiocy from people along the I5 corridor as from people out in the country in Idaho.
Yet...

there is a smugness about posting such things under a post originated, by me, to say that people have lost their minds on the mask issue. So much so that I am getting screamed at from shore and from boats. I’m expecting fly fisherman to experience this soon. That’s the whole point of the original post.

Last edited:

SpudFly

Should be fishing
Hey You, yeah you...can we refocus now!?

Today, while surfing boat waves in a kayak out on lake CDA (with my buff covering my whole head..ears...face...everything), a boat intentionally came in to the shallows at full speed so one of the occupants could scream at me, “GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA”.

If you don’t understand, let me explain. CDA is “getting overrun” by Californians. At least, that’s what the local populace is convinced of. In reality, CDA is getting overrun by a whole host of places, Cali included. You can find us on a lot of lists of where “you can escape your oppressive cultural regimes”. Or, maybe, “where you can experience serene beauty and majesty for a fraction of what your state costs you”. Either way, people are coming here in droves.

But, beyond that, the whole point of my post was people getting heated for someone wearing a mask in a situation where almost every experienced person, not wanting the inside of their nose to get sunburned, wears a mask. Not all this other shit.

Have you ever been sunburned inside of your nose? I have. It sucks.

Not wanting it to happen again, as I spend two to four hours on the water daily, I posted about the reaction to that VERY normal thing of me wearing a face covering that would have been normal if not for COVID.

At some point, this experience that I have had is going to trickle down into fly fishing, I’m sure of it.

That’s the whole “sha-bang”. If it is happening to me here, out on the lake, it’s only a matter of time before flyfisher people are going to have that same experience here in Idaho.

I’d like to hear about it. Simple as that.

B

bennysbuddy

Hey You, yeah you...can we refocus now!?

Today, while surfing boat waves in a kayak out on lake CDA (with my buff covering my whole head..ears...face...everything), a boat intentionally came in to the shallows at full speed so one of the occupants could scream at me, “GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA”.

If you don’t understand, let me explain. CDA is “getting overrun” by Californians. At least, that’s what the local populace is convinced of. In reality, CDA is getting overrun by a whole host of places, Cali included. You can find us on a lot of lists of where “you can escape your oppressive cultural regimes”. Or, maybe, “where you can experience serene beauty and majesty for a fraction of what your state costs you”. Either way, people are coming here in droves.

But, beyond that, the whole point of my post was people getting heated for someone wearing a mask in a situation where almost every experienced person, not wanting the inside of their nose to get sunburned, wears a mask. Not all this other shit.

Have you ever been sunburned inside of your nose? I have. It sucks.

Not wanting it to happen again, as I spend two to four hours on the water daily, I posted about the reaction to that VERY normal thing of me wearing a face covering that would have been normal if not for COVID.

At some point, this experience that I have had is going to trickle down into fly fishing, I’m sure of it.

That’s the whole “sha-bang”. If it is happening to me here, out on the lake, it’s only a matter of time before flyfisher people are going to have that same experience here in Idaho.

I’d like to hear about it. Simple as that.
Endeavor to persevere

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I’ve worn a mask/buff fishing very crowded salmon beaches for the last few weeks. 12+ trips and not one person has made a comment even though 97% of folks are not wearing anything.

It’s possible to run into a random a$$hat anywhere in the world, not just Idaho. One random moron does does not a state or region make.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I’ve worn a mask/buff fishing very crowded salmon beaches for the last few weeks. 12+ trips and not one person has made a comment even though 97% of folks are not wearing anything.

It’s possible to run into a random a$$hat anywhere in the world, not just Idaho. One random moron does does not a state or region make.
But when we generalize we really get the crowds fired up....

creekx

Director of Stoke

We had a lengthy thread awhile back about how stupid buffs were, even as sun protection. So yes, this is nothing new.

Spelunker

I've gone to some far flung and rowdy places on this earth (brazilian favelas, colombian cocaine production villages, Beirut, ect..) and I've never felt as uncomfortable or out of place as I did in northern Idaho. I would love to fish and backpack the area but I'd be hesitant to go back. I'd never walk into a bar there, that's for sure.

surfnfish

Kicked
The surgeon who has performed MOHS surgery on me twice to remove Basil Cell Cancinomas is a big fan of buffs, broad brim hats, sungloves, sunscreen, sun shirts, sunglasses, and anything else that helps minimize UV damage.
He has had way too many late stage melanoma patients come into his office that spent much of their lives outdoors without any sun protection, never had routine skin exams, and it ended up costing them their lives.

Pretty much like the mask/no mask chasm...trust the advice of world class doctors, or the word of politicians....trust the advice of a highly respected skin cancer surgeon, or contrarian viewpoints expressed on an internet forum.

Just like cancer, obstinacy can be a fatal disease

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
The surgeon who has performed MOHS surgery on me twice to remove Basil Cell Cancinomas is a big fan of buffs, broad brim hats, sungloves, sunscreen, sun shirts, sunglasses, and anything else that helps minimize UV damage.
He has had way too many late stage melanoma patients come into his office that spent much of their lives outdoors without any sun protection, never had routine skin exams, and it ended up costing them their lives.

Pretty much like the mask/no mask chasm...trust the advice of world class doctors, or the word of politicians....trust the advice of a highly respected skin cancer surgeon, or contrarian viewpoints expressed on an internet forum.

Just like cancer, obstinacy can be a fatal disease

I too have had MOHS surgery a number of times. Last was a month ago on my nose for Basil. My nose went from a good looking nose to a snozz (Jimmy Durante style).

To adjust the meaning of one of your paragraphs above: "He has had way too many late stage COVID patients come into his office that spent much of their lives outdoors without any mask protection, never washed their hands, and it ended up costing them their lives.".

Old406Kid

People in Kootenai County have been calm so far, but it’s not going to be long before you don’t want to have a WA plate in Shoshone county. That will eventually bleed into Kootenai County.

This cracks me up... a WA plate in Kootenai is taboo but a recent California, or wherever, transplant that now sports a 'K' license plate is okay.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info